Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue about Catia curve from equation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterChen206

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2021
US
Hello everyone,

I am using Catia curve from equation to build a curve. Here is the formula for x and y:
x = R*cos(2*PI*1rad*n*t)
y = R*sin(2*PI*1rad*n*t)

So n is a parameter I defined. When n is small, the curve is a circle. However, when n is large, like n=100, it is not a circle anymore. Instead the curve is very weird.

How can I make sure that the curve is still a circle even when n is large? Because mathematically it should be a circle no matter how large n is. Any help is appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d1a0910d-8be2-4771-a3bb-98e27f10b28b&file=Weird_curve.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

how exactly did you implement your equations?
with x and t as variables in a Law (real), and R and n as external parameters?...

regards,
LWolf

LWolf, you are right. That is how I implemented. I even tried the following cases:
x=20mm*cos(2*PI*1rad*40*t)
y=20mm*sin(2*PI*1rad*40*t)
z=0mm*t
I changed 40 to 100, the curve is not a circle anymore.

Yes, I saw that video before and I followed the instruction. The only thing I do not understand is why the curve is completely different when I want to have more revolutions.

I get the circle... (as I should), no matter how many revolutions (N number).
can you post a picture when you vary z=N*t ?...

regards,
LWolf

LWolf, below is my definition:
`x1`=25mm*cos(2*PI*1rad*100*`t`)
`y1`=25mm*sin(2*PI*1rad*100*`t`)
`z1`=0mm*`t`

The curve I got is shown below.

Weird_curve_khwbul.png

yeah, seen the first picture.
did you use fog to define the laws?
could you humor me and show me a case when you vary the z

regards,
LWolf

LWolf, what do you mean by 'not lengths'? Please see my x1 definition below. In my definition, the type of x1 and t is length and real, respectively.

x1_fog_ykqwwb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back