Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Labeling Components on Structural Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoyageofDiscovery

Structural
Apr 7, 2002
CA
When I do rehabilitation of existing structures, I typically title drawings as "rehabilitation" as opposed to "reinforcing" and label components on my drawings as "stiffening" elements. Rehabilitation indicates I am restoring the member or system to its original capacity as opposed to reinforcing which implies that I am giving it additional capacity.

Does anyone have another word for "stiffening" they would use in this vein to label components on one's structural drawings?

VOD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We just completed a project called "Stabilization" where a series of buildings were repaired structurally to terminate its continual deterioration. We did not specifically improve the load carrying capacity of the floors in most cases, but rather specified epoxy injection into cracks, patching, shotcrete repairs, underpinning of settled footings, etc.

Hi JAE,

Thanks for the response, all things considered, there is a lot to think about when one does not want to inherit more liability for a given scope of work.

Regards

VOD

Some thoughts:

Perhaps "restoration" could be an appropriate term. It is usually applied to the exterior of a building, but could as easily be applied to the structure. You are restoring it to it's original capcity (?).

When you "stabilize" a structure, it implies to me halting deterioration. But how do you assess the residual capacity at that point?

Lastly, ASCE has a publication, "Guideline for the Structural Condition Assessment of Existing Buildings", SEI/ASCE 11-99. They provide checklists, discussions and procedures for evaluating existing buildings.

The New Jersey Rehabilitation Code has some pretty decent definitions of "remodel", "rehab", "repair," etc. We use their definitions on everything. They also have a neat way of doing the code analysis. It's really basic and straight forward. If you do a search for "New Jersey Rehabilitation Code" on google you'll get the hit to the website where you can download the code for free.

I have heard that several states and major cities have adopted the NJ Rehab Code, but I'm not sure how much it's in use. I can tell you this: it's a fantastic code for getting remodel/repair/rehab work done on existing buildings. The code analysis is pretty straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back