Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Leaf Chain Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExDrill

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2008
Hi,
I need as much good advice on Leaf Chain Design as can be mustered. Competitors in my industry are utilising leaf chain as a means of transferring a cylinders push/pull into a lift with a doubling of speed and distance (everybody has made use of rope conventionally for exactly the same purpose). The nominal loads are defined quite easily (cylinder pressure valve settings) and I would be looking to utilise the leaf chain in the same way due to the obvious space savings over rope (with huge sheave diameters) without a drop in the smoothness of operation. I have found a few documents on the web which is good but does anyone have any reference to a standard for material handling.

In particular advise would be most beneficial for:
a) Things not to do!!!
b) Safety Factors (if the failure of the chain is considered catastrophic). I have always followed crane standards in regards to rope (Please note its not a people mover).
c) Service Factors (considering the operator and maintenance is limited and the environment can be corrosive, salty). I guess a marine environment is over the top but something from someone in the industry may help with this (if the industry uses leaf chain or stays away from it for example).
d) Roller Diameters (My Leaf Chain runs on rollers, not sprockets) and their direct effect on chain tensions, friction etc.
e) Terminations. Do I have to make my own and if so what are the dos and don'ts?? They say you can buy them, but, I'm at a loss when looking for a supplier.

Anything from anybody that has used the stuff can pass on would be helpful because we have to bite the bullet and start using it or be left behind.

We're tearing the competitors machine apart next month to have a look how they do it but quite frankly that's just not going to do it for me in regards to designing my own, even if they are achieving good life.

Cheers,
ExDrill.

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When we had gobs and gobs of fork trucks (71) we became an authorized repair station for a major brand (R) who's trucks we had the most of.

For quite a number of years we did make the terminations and did change the MOC of several parts all with the approval of the manufacturer. The chains are now purchased complete with terminations. I don't know who supplies the hardware but I believe the chain is still Renold.

I recently talked with the person in charge of the remaining trucks and found out they have closed the fork truck shop and what little maintenance is done by a contractor, who uses the hardcore unemployable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back