Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Length fixed on spline or on a bridge curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

zizacad

Automotive
Jun 17, 2014
BR
thread561-241140

Hi everyone, I came across this thread ( about spline with fixed length and it´s exactly what i need but unfortunatly i didn´t see an answer that solve it yet, has someone here that found a solution for it so far? Thanks in advanced!I´m using NX 9.0 ( take a look on the pics attached)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX routing can do that. NX Modeling cannot . ( not out of the box, maybe one can write some plugin code, but not ootb.)
Routing is designed to manage problems like connecting a cable of a given length.

The task is actually more mathematically difficult than expected at first glance, when the distance between the connection points gets shorter, the spline must deform , from the ideal length and shape it has initially, this new shape can then be "any shape". Compare it to a string between two points where the string is longer than the distance, the string can "be" anywhere with "almost any" shape.
The problem is that the spline math is designed to return the ideal length with a smooth shape, not a given length and a random shape.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back