Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

License question

Status
Not open for further replies.

REnright

Automotive
Aug 8, 2006
US
Hello all. Awhile back there was a gentleman on here having some issues with his license. We leaned it was coming from a hacked license. If you know of someone or a company running on an illegal license,,,how would you go about helping GTAC find this company? Long story shot,,,, A certain company owes me quite a bit of money,,,and now seems to forgot how to pay me,,,or the money for license.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you in fact getting a specific error message that indicates an illegal license is being used? If so, then send the part file to GTAC (call them first). I doubt if they can guarantee that they'll be able to track the user of the illegal license down though.

The last part of your post ("...or the money for license) is a bit confusing to me....why would another company owe you money for a license? You didn't share your license file with another company did you?

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Sorry for not being more clear.I DO NOT USE AN ILLEGAL LICENSE. I know of a company that is running between 5-10 illegal seats of UG. I was wondering how someone could let the cat out of the bag. I know exactly what all the errors are ,,,and what they mean. I was being sarcastic

Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to clarify what was meant by the words I quoted. I never said one word about anyone other than the company mentioned using an illegal license, nor was I insinuating that at all.

First, have you made up your mind that reporting this company to UGS is the approach that you're going to take, no matter what? I ask that because I don't see how you will gain anything other than "getting even" (for lack of better words) with those who owe you money. By reporting this to UGS, you might be putting people out of work that had nothing to do with the decision to use illegal licenses. That might be something to consider. Again, I don't know the entire story, so the above comments may not need to be considered or maybe that is something you've already given thought.

Second, why not take legal action against them rather than "getting even"? You probably won't gain anything financially by reporting this company, so it might benefit you more to seek legal counsel if the dollar amount warrants it.

I am of the opinion that there will be little gained other than your own satisfaction by you or your employer by reporting this company. However, what they are doing is illegal, no excuses. Should you decide that turning them into UGS is the best route, then contacting GTAC would be might be the first step you need to take. After hearing GTAC's response, you might then have a better idea of what to do about all of this. I would just ask them flat out how they handled situations like this, then explain the story to them. However, I feel it's important to have your mind made up about what you're going to do prior to calling GTAC.

Just another person with their own opinion. ;o)

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

There is much more to the story. I did work for the company and never got paid. I did contact my lawyer and so on. The company in return(which the owner has a LOT more money than I do) decided to put a law suit against me for about 15 times the amount that I am owed.(well over $100,000). So this is where I am trying to defend myself against a shaddy character

Ahhh...I had it in my mind you had contracted the company to do work for you...never thought about you working for them as a CAD user. In that case, give them the shaft in return. Call GTAC.

Sorry to hear about this nightmare. Good luck in getting things ironed out.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Hi,
I'd suggest to contact not only UGS' GTAC (which will most probably sue the company), but also organisms such as Anti-Piracy, Warrant for Free Concurrence, or whatever may apply in your country. Possibly contact many of these organisms in the same time.
I say this under the presumption that the company you are refering to doesn't have a really strong argument why not to pay you (I mean, I presume you aren't in the case that one of your designs ended to kill someone...) ;-)

Regards

I am curious as to why they slapped a lawsuit on you? If you worked for them, isn't the work you do in fact their work?

So how can they sue? Maybe I am reading something wrong.

Justin Ackley
Designer
jackley@gmail.com

Hi,
ahi ahi ahi, as we say in Italy... Things are getting contorted... I also worked as a freelance doing designs and calculations for third-parties, before my current job: in Italy, a contract break (such as not paying the contracted fee) made against a profesional is considered extremely grave and in some cases punishable penally (not only administratively), so you can understand why companies are extremely cautious before doing anything "strange" to an independent professional. Nevertheless, Italian law (excuse me for speaking only about Italy, but my knowledge is limited to my country for these questions...!) also oblige the professional not to break the contract on his own: unfortunately, if in your contract you didn't explicitely put a clause stating the interruptibility of the work in case of mispayment, in my country you would have kind of a difficult situation, because you would have caused a contract break. The "correct" way of proceeding would have been to write to the company's direction WITHOUT interrupting the work, but saying that, if they wouldn't pay you within XXX days, you would have interrupted the work and eventually sued them (and, accessorilly, kept all rights over the design you were developing)... Also be careful, in the case that you were using software / hardware instruments belonging to that company: you could not sue them (or, at least, it could become very dangerous for you) on the fact that they are using pirated software, because, when you were working for them, you yourself used (their) pirated software knowing that it was pirated...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back