Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Light Gauge Studs with precast flooring 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1331

Structural
Jan 26, 2010
CA
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone has experience with Light Gauge Steel Studs and precast (coreslab or other) decking. I have a project where we are using LGS and have typically seen/used comslab or other poured in place systems with LGS in the past. Contractor is quite adamant that coreslab is the better option for construction efficiency, etc. My concern is the comslab works well with the LGS as it is a Bailey product (designed for LGS applications) and I prefer the poured in place connections to the coreslab.

Has anyone ever had a positive experience with LGS and precast decking?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've done it several times, both as EOR and as precaster. Certainly, it can be made to work with the right detailing. That said, I'm currently involved with one of these as a forensic case. So yeah, proceed with caution. I found this handy: Link. Structuremag also has a couple of articles on this.

My biggest beef with these things is when folks use a gypsum topping rather than a structural concrete topping. The lizard parts of my brain that still think engineering matters get offended. If you're on the east coast, there's a pretty good chance you'll get pushed in that direction, and hard.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

My problem with all this mid-rise LGS construction is that there is a good chance the studs will not be braced properly - either from a design or construction perspective. Seen it too many times in the field. I feel it is one of those areas that is too complex for the average installer to install, the average inspector to inspect or the average design engineer to design.

Great link KootK. I've not dealt with precast on top of LGS but I've seen a lot of LGS going up locally these days so I'm sure I will eventually get dragged into it.

I'm sure you can't comment in detail but, in very broad strokes, what component/area was it failed on the forensic case project? I'm guessing moisture related (it's always moisture...), whatever direction you can point me in would be great as I'd love to learn more about precast/LGS interaction and the pitfalls involved.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

The issues stem 100% from EOR incompetence I'm afraid. And a good chunk of that seems to have resulted from a lack of familiarity with the design and detailing issues that affect this kind of structure. Not rocket science either. Fifteen minutes of googling "hollow core on cold form" and 90% of the stuff would have been resolved.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back