Little-known Excel features and functionality 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunalover

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2002
US
Folks:
Earlier this weekend I encountered an article from a group in LinkedIn that provided me, a 30+ year Excel user, with pleasantly surprising features and functionality. I am attaching these for your reference. Credit goes to the author clearly shown on the webpage.Link

I gave up on the attachment! [glasses]

Tunalover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you select just one cell and drag the + sign at the bottom right down, it will copy that 1 cell down.
If you select multiple cells and drag the + sign at the bottom right down, it will figure out the sequence and fill down.
I attempted to make an animated gif of this, hopefully it works.
ezgif-1-ec5598cc96_ukfi2x.gif

FILL HANDLE (selection lower right-hand square) method to get the first of each month example:

1) Enter Jan 2016

2) SELECT that cell, grab the fill handle and drag down or to the right (or even up or to the left).

The result will have a display format of mmm-yy, date values 1/1/2016, 2/1/2016 etc.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

JG2828 - how did you get a clean animation clip of Excel showing keyed data entry, and how did you upload / post it on this thread?

ATSE,
I made a screen recording with a program called SnagIt. It creates an mp4 video file. I uploaded the the video file to an online mp4 to gif website. I think I used ezgif.com/video-to-gif. Then I posted the gif here using the Upload Image button.

IDS,
I had never made an animated gif before. I got the idea from the link in the original post, most of the examples are animated gifs and were really helpful.

Hey just came across this one by accident.
As I said earlier, holding control-; (semicolon) will insert the date into a cell. Well I just found out by accident that shift-ctrl-; will insert the time.

ctrl-; = 7/17/2017
shift-ctrl-; = 4:10 PM

This can be done while selecting a cell, or while editing text within a cell.

You can navigate to the top or bottom of a column or to the left or right of a row, by holding the Shift key, selecting the End key and then using the up/down or left/right arrow keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back