Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Live Load Reduction and One-Way Slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUseSteel

Structural
Dec 5, 2023
US
Hello, first time posting but look here often. I'm getting into some debates in the office on handling LLR in precast structures. There's a few different concerns here so I think I'll start with the most basic: See the attached image of the precast floor plan, and an overlay of a joist framing layout from above. The center bay of precast slabs has two load bearing walls running perpendicular to the span supporting 5 levels of units above, plus a roof. Ignore any additional complexities like the stairs or anything else not mentioned.
IMAGE_hr6tey.png

Is it the code intention to allow a different live load reduction factor for slabs, beams, and columns? My stance is that if you want to get as much LLR as possible, you should calculate LLR per member. Generally for a slab you might see a reduction of 40%, a beam 50%, and a column 60%. In these debates I've heard these alternates:
1. Whatever you use for the slab should also be used for the beams and columns. That doesnt make any sense to me; the beam is less likely to have its full influence area fully loaded, so it would be allowed a greater amount of live load reduction.

2. The floor itself has a live load reduction, and not individual members -- so beams and slabs would have the same live load reduction, but the columns are allowed more. Again that doesn't make sense to me because LLR is statistical and a "floor" isnt a discrete thing you can analyze.

My second question is getting more specific on LLR and one-way slabs. For a bit of background on precast hollowcore, PCI recommends a "distribution width" of 0.5*Span at midspan, with the shape shown in the image earlier. The ends are around 4 feet wide, depending on the situation. This is a simplification of moment distribution and the load itself is not truly being distributed. For calculating your tributary area here, the method I've seen is to take these areas and add them together:

1. Area of slab itself:(0.5*ClearSpan^2)
so this is just taking the area of the distribution width as a rectangle; slightly unconservative but inconsequential. (0.5*30*30 = 450ft^2)​
2. Area of all 5 supported floors above:(0.5*ClearSpan)*(NumFloors)*(JoistSpan/2)
and this is taking the area of joists supported by all bearing walls on the distribution width. Typically that might be a corridor width of 5 feet, and a span to the exterior wall of 30 feet; leaving you with a supported area of (0.5*30feet)*(5)*(30ft+5ft)/2 = 1312ft^2​
(per wall)

For the most part, this makes sense to me. My concern with this comes as that bearing wall gets closer to the end of the slabs (i.e. nearer to the precast beams). At this point, the slab is becoming shear controlled, and I don't see how taking 0.5*ClearSpan as your slab width for LLR is valid. Testing shows that a load applied at the end of a hollowcore plank distributes "instantaneously" about 4 feet. So, in my view, the tributary area for SHEAR can be different than that used for flexure. Let's say there is only one blue bearing wall, and its 1 foot from the beams (and running parallel as shown). That distribution width for shear is then approx 4 feet wide, and my opinion, the tributary area is now:

1. Area of slab itself: (4ft)*ClearSpan = 120ft^2
2. Area of all 5 supported floors above: 4ft*(NumFloors)*(JoistSpan/2) = 350ft^2.

My reasoning is that if only this 4 foot chunk of bearing wall was fully loaded, this unit of slab would see its maximum shear. So, how can I rationalize using a larger LLR? Hypothetically the wood framing/bearing walls can spread the loads out, too... which is the best rationale I can come up with. But in my discussions it seems no one agrees with the exact location of the loads on the slabs as mattering for calculating LLR. Always use 0.5*ClearSpan for a transverse load. (Point loads of course have their own discrete area)

Would greatly appreciate input! Hopefully I've made some degree of sense here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LLR is per member. It's a simplified method of taking advantage of the lower probability of maximum loading on all supported surfaces at once. The more area a member supports, the larger your reduction. It doesn't make sense to pick one and use it for everything (though I suppose it might make things easier?).

I don't have any experience with LLR on precast slabs or hollow core, but I think your argument is valid. The code is an assemblage of tools for us to use, not a strict recipe book. If, in your judgement as the engineer, the use of the maximum LLR will create an unsafe condition in your unique application, then it's your responsibility to apply the correct factor to ensure the reliability of the structure.

This doesn't really answer your question, however given that it is a thread on LLR I thought I'd put it here for future searches.

The 2020 NBCC has updated clause 4.1.5.8 to include that LLR may not be used for one-way and two-way floor slab systems.
LLR_gw3l3e.png

Not sure if something similar is coming down the pipeline for the American codes.

The method I've settled on is to apply one LLR factor for flexure and shear design. However, for punching shear and local effects (say point loads), I take the tributary area and respective LLR for that load only.

It simply doesnt make sense that having two concentrated loads on opposite ends of a one way slab would allow me to reduce the punching shear for each of the loads more than if I only had one. They don't interact.

As to your original question

1 - using the lowest of the allowed live load reduction for beam, column, and slab, would be conservative, but as it's conservative, it's above code minimum. I'm not aware of a slab live load reduction, however. But a beam would typically have lesser influence area and a lower K[sub]LL[/sub] factor so it will have a smaller live load reduction. The column is allowed to use a larger live load reduction due to larger influence area and/or K[sub]LL[/sub].

2 - this sounds like using the largest "allowed" live load reduction. That would be unconservative and would not meet code minimum.

Live load reduction is based on influence area, but some components are specifically prohibited from live load reduction, based on element type, and other prohibitions apply to the magnitude of the live load.

As to distribution width, this is for checking/design of the element and is independent (not related to) live load reduction.

I would not apply live load reduction to a slab, unless there were some specific provision or research that allows it that I'm unaware of, and if you are the specialty engineer for the precast alone, that sort of thing should be disclosed to the Engineer of Record and approved via RFI.

References:
Live Load Reduction on Wood-Frame Bearing Walls, Woodworks web site.
Design Considerations for Sawn Lumber Studs, Partain, Structure Magazine, May 2012

Well, it looks like some measure of live load reduction to a one-way slab is allowed but there's extra stuff going on there, I must have just taken the K[sub]LL[/sub] of 1 to mean there's no live load reduction permitted.

Live_load_reduction_a6qymc.jpg

Source: Upcodes (Illinois building code, it's what showed up first).

If the alternate live load reduction is still in the code, that might be applicable to a one-way slab. And that may not allow larger reductions for the beam and column. Not that your average precast column is all that dependent on a live load reduction.

JustUseSteel said:
It simply doesnt make sense that having two concentrated loads on opposite ends of a one way slab would allow me to reduce the punching shear for each of the loads more than if I only had one.

Live load reduction only applies to uniform loads. You can't reduce concentrated loads.

IBC 2021 said:
"...members...are permitted to be designed for a reduced uniformly distributed live load, L..."

ProgrammingPE said:
Live load reduction only applies to uniform loads. You can't reduce concentrated loads.

I don't agree with that interpretation. That would mean the only member you could reduce live loads for would be slabs. Every load on a column is concentrated. Beams are concentrating slab loads. I believe all they are trying to say is the uniform loads given in the tables can be reduced. A concentrated load (typically) originates as a distributed load somewhere.

I was not suggesting that uniform loads whose load path gathers them into a point load (like at beam end reactions) cannot be reduced. (They absolutely can. Table 1607.12.1 refers specifically to columns.) The concentrated loads that cannot be reduced are the loads that are applied as concentrated loads.

Live_Load_Reduction_m6cvqm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back