Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locating- GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmENGR

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2011
US
On the topic of 'locating' what are the three broad categories?

I think it is irregular, concentric, and plane. I could be wrong.

It is a hw question that i can't seem to find in the book or online.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Could you be more specific? I am afraid I do not understand the question.

2. Which GD&T standard is the area of your concern - ASME or ISO? If I am correct in my assumptions about a point of your question, the answer you will give can have significant impact on the response you will get from us.

pmarc,

question does not state wheather it is of asme or iso concern.

Locating can be divided into three broad categories. I don't know these three categories. examples are: plane, irreg, radial, OR radial, irregular, and concentric. And a few other choices.

I never learned gdt in school. Wow that is not good.

thanks

I'm afraid I'm completely lost about your question. Your question doesn't ring a bell with me with regards to a set number of categories. Three characteristics that locate are True Position, Runout, and Profile. Concentricity and Symmetry locate as well but they are pretty much useless in my opinion.
Am I even close to answering your question?

Powerhound, GDTP T-0419
Engineering Technician
Inventor 2010
Mastercam X5
Smartcam 11.1
SSG, U.S. Army
Taji, Iraq OIF II

There are also two broad groups named Orientation and Form.

And two controls named Profile and Run-out, that don't belong to any group, because they control A LOT by themselves.

Are we getting any closer?

Well, your answer did not help.

The only criterion that comes to my mind right now is that officially location tolerances in ASME GD&T (per Y14.5 standard) consist of: position, concentricity and symmetry.

In ISO GD&T world (ISO 1101:2004) location tolerances are: position, concentricity (coaxiality), symmetry, profile of a line and profile of a surface.

But I think this can be found in every handbook on GD&T fundamentals, so I have a feeling that it does not answer your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back