Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

M020 release conditions 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thanks!!! I downloaded from your link, installed it over V14 0M11 and it worked just fine using my existing license. Great!! By the way, my hard drive crashed last week and I was forced to get a new one. I called PTC tech support, they directed me to downloadd V14 0M11 from the PTC web site and then I called PTC install support for a new license data file. They asked a few questions and sent me one via email within a few minutes. The install went flawlessly, only requiring a previous release CD for identification. I expressed my profound disappointment at their policy to not let me re-download V14 0M20 and kicked it up one level. The tech support people were very helpful but had their limits. I can only hope that they will consider policy revisions for future releases.

A tidbit on Mathcad 14 licensing that some might not know about. Based on frustration some have had with relicensing, and lack of cooperation on the part of PTC, I feel obligated to share this. Mathcad 14 standalone uses the absolute weakest form of flexlm licensing there is. It is based only on the volume ID for your hard drive. Once you activate your copy of MC14 (that you legally own) save the license to another location in case your hard drive crashes. When you get a new machine or reinstall OS etc, check the volume id of the C:\ drive. Look at the license.dat file that you saved and there will be an entry that says something like "HOSTID=PTC_HOSTID=1234:5678 SUPERSEDE \ ...". The HOSTID=####:#### (in my example it is 1234:5678) is the volume id for your old hard drive. Use a tool called volumeid from microsoft winternals to change your new drive volume id to the old one. No need to contact PTC! Use the old license file on the new machine (with the altered volume id). Do not use this feature to install on more than one machine as that would be a violation of the licensing agreement (I am in no way advocating that).

At last someone came up with knockout to the arogent and unacceptable behavior of PTC. Before they purchased Mathcad there was no auch problem with Mathsoft. More than Mathsoft used to sell student licensed old versions for commercial use every time a new version was available.

See
Topic: Mathcad 14.0 Maintenance Release Entitlement Update (1 of 1), Read 69 times
Conf: Announcements
Date: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:19 AM

Mathcad 14.0 Maintenance Release Entitlement Update

In a change from previous PTC policy, Mathcad 14.0 M020 is now available to all customers for download. Single User customers can access the download here, while active maintenance customers can access it through the regular "Order or Download Software Updates" tool.

Mathcad 14.0 releases M030 and M035 were designed specifically for enterprise customers and include integrations with PTC’s Windchill and ProductPoint software. These two releases are only supported with node-locked and floating licenses (not single user or student licenses) and are available to customers active on maintenance. They are available now and can be downloaded through the regular "Order or Download Software Updates" tool.

In future versions of Mathcad, first year maintenance benefits and entitlements (including bug fixes) will be included – whether you are purchasing a new license or upgrading from an older version. After the first year, customers will have the option of continuing with their maintenance benefits.

---------

Note M020 fixes the print preview problem for most users.

Thanks to PTC for doing the right thing on the M020 availability. In response to their statement about M035 not supporting single-user licenses ... not true. Although single-user license holders will not have access to that release, it is available "out there" at a legit (non-piracy) website. I have been informed that it does install and allow the license.dat that is used for single-user M020. And no I don't have it installed as that is most likely against the licensing agreement. And please don't ask where the M035 file is at.

Thanks to PTC for doing the right thing on the M020 availability. In response to their statement about M035 not supporting single-user licenses ... not true. Although single-user license holders will not have access to that release, it is available "out there" at a legit (non-piracy) website. I have been informed that it does install and allow the license.dat that is used for single-user M020. And no I don't have it installed as that is most likely against the licensing agreement. And please don't ask where the M035 file is at."

--------------

If it's 'a legit (non-piracy) website' why can't we ask where that is? You should just keep that comment to yourself if you don't really want to share it.

David B

I have yet to receive a communication from PTC advising me that they have fixed this issue. They are still hiding in the dark.

1) This is not a board that promotes software licensing violations or piracy. There are plenty of other resources (e.g., torrent, etc) for that.
2) If I did tell you exactly where it is at, it would be gone shortly thereafter. PTC probably monitors boards such as this. The only person that would probably get the file before it disappeared would be you. And clearly, based on your comment above, you don't deserve it.
3) I have to assume that many engineers appreciate somewhat of a challenge in solving problems ... I gave the curious an opportunity to use their your googling expertise and critical thinking skills.
4) You should be able to figure out at least two search terms that locate Mathcad M035. Only one additional term is required ... keep trying, you'll figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back