Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machining after assembly. WAVE/Promotion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrintScaffold

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2006
RU
Hello John! This is a spin-off topic from NX10 thread.

Machining after assembly is a very frequent scenario in real life manufacturing. Typically assemblies are machined after welding, but not exclusively. Currently NX allows to model this situation through use of body promotion (either direct promotion or Assembly Cut feature) or WAVE linking of body. I have no problem with either scenarios, although all of them have some downsides here and there. The bigger problem is with users, especially less qualified ones, who often find it difficult to quckly grasp the technique. Therefore I'm quite interested - is existing approach going to be changed in the future? Are there plans to implement the solution which would allow modeling operations on the component-level bodies directly from the assembly level, without need to link or promote them beforehand? Is this possible at all with current architecture and geometric kernel of NX?

Industry creates wealth!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take a look at the following example in your UG installation.
C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 9.0\UGDOC\html_files\nx_help\en_US\graphics\graphicLibrary\nx\videos\cad\cast_and_machined_parts_workflow.htm

Michael Fernando (CSWE)
Tool and Die Designer
Siemens NX V9.0 + PDW
SWX 2013 SP3.0 X64
PDMWorks 2013
Logopress3
FastForm Advance
FormatWorks

For myself I use promotions almost all the time because what I need is the entire solid body.
But if I only needed to utilize a face (maybe even just an edge?) of a particular body then I would use WAVE.
I guess there are loading issuea with one compared to the other but that has not been a concern for us.

Yes Gunman, you can email it to me (if you don't know email address, just add a couple a periods to my username in the logical places and add the company address and I should get it).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back