Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manganese plate workability 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianlawfabmanager

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2002
US
I am quoting a job that calls for Mn. plate to be used and I have never delt with it before and I am haveing trouble finding much useful information on the web so if someone could give me a little input i would appreciate it.

Can it be bent ?
can it be welded?
What is it welded with?
can it be machined?
What can it be machined with?
can it be flame cut?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I have some experience with Manganesse steel. You can form it on temperature cca 850 C. I roll it up on Inside diameter between 6" up to 20" with thickness of plate max 1-3/8". I use 3 roller unit I design. This material is weldable, and you can use stick welding or Mig. Some informations you can faind in book Metals and How to weld them. by T. B. Jefferson. For more information , just ask.

Our experience has been with machinability, and the material has been as difficult to machine as predicted. There are two kinds, one that has up to 13% of Mn, this one is austenitic, and with the work the austenite goes to martensite (tempering with deformation). Machinability is Very difficult (8-20 m/min). The other has less Mn, around 2%, this is softer, Mn is there to improve weldability (I am not quite sure of this last part)
sancat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back