Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Manual heat sink design analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirendras

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2003
IN
Hi I am designing a heat sink. I want to analyse the design manualy without using any software. I want to design the heat sink closer to its required application parameters so that much analysis is not required. I know a good analysis would make a good design. It is ok if my design is one step below that. Is there any tutorial out there anywhere which would help me to design a heat sink to its required parameters. I am a recent graduate & I've never done something like this before. I am on my own and there is no senior engineer on this field to get any help.
Any help/tip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
nirendras

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You do realize that just by asking this question on the internet, you violated, "without using any software?"

> Determine heat load
> Determine maximum ambient
> Determine allowable temperature rise given maximum ambient
> Determine amount of convection --> convection coefficient
> Solve area*htc*deltaT = heat load for area
> Adjust for heat spreading and fin efficiency

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Aavid.com is a pretty good place to start. Find a heatsink of theirs from their selector guides online then design yours around them. i admit it, I've done it before! I needed a rather large heatsink that they had in their catalog, but after getting their pricing I learned that for the Quantity that I was looking for I could have a die made and get the extrusions, with finish machining and anodize for less then half of what they wanted for bare, uncut and unfinished heatsink stock!

that said heatsink design isn't that difficult. Get your hands on a good heat transfer text and there should be a chapter on fin design. Incropera and DeWitt's fourth edition stays on my desk. A good copy of Schlichting's "Boundary Layer theory" (out of print but still available all over. Try Ebay) will get you through the natural and forced convection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back