Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manufacruring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngMfg1

Aerospace
Dec 9, 2004
US
Does any one know of a way to save the cutters center line data as geometry on the screen?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The CL data is display data only. There never has been an option to save it as geometry.

What are you trying to accomplish?

There was an option to plot the display with the CL data. Haven't played with UG CAM since V16, so I don't know what is in NX.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Well I’d like to save the center line data on the screen so that if I ever have a situation where cutter is jumping up, or retracting I should say, I’d like to take the center line data and connect it, at it’s end points and just chain the whole thing and us an on condition, and drive the center line data.

You will need to redefine the boundry and cutter positioning and regenerate the toolparh to get a new CL file for downloading to your machine.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Once I have regenerated the operation, and down at the bottom of the operation window there is a button that is called replay once I click it, on the screen I get bunch of center line data, want to be able to save that center line data as geometry on a certain layer so if I chose to I can use it to drive the tool path rather the picking the face that drove it initially

Sorry if I didn’t explain my self correctly I am a new ug nx user.

UG doesn't use the CL data to drive the toolpath. The MOM stores the parameters that define the toolpath and then when you generate the toolpath, MOM displays the data. There is no option that I am aware of that will convert the display CL data into UG geometry. The MOM data is stored with your part file, so it can be retrieved, reprocessed and changed. It is associative to the original geometry. The CL display is strictly operator feedback to give the NC programmer a sense of what the tool is doing.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

"Once I have regenerated the operation, and down at the bottom of the operation window there is a button that is called replay once I click it, on the screen I get bunch of center line data, want to be able to save that center line data as geometry on a certain layer so if I chose to I can use it to drive the tool path rather the picking the face that drove it initially"

Some systems such as Mastercam and others have this option. The problem with it is that is un-associated to the part which can be dangerous.

There are many ways to manipulate the toolpath. You can add part stock, offset the tool boundary, ect. The key is to keep it associated to the part.

The question you should ask is: why do need to drive the tool using centerline geo? Perhaps you have a specific problem that your trying to workaround?

--
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back