Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Materials compatible with Plating Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunT

Mechanical
May 29, 2005
US
Hi,

I am researching materials for Plating Racks/Jigs. The racks will be used to carry very delicate Si wafers with a Seed Copper layer. I am looking for a exhaustive list of materials (for both conductor and insulator) that are comaptible with:

Acidic Copper Plating solution
Acidic Tin Plating solution
Nitric Rack strip solution

I understand that Plastisol coated Cu racks are typically used in plating applications. But does plastisol coating offer uniform, precise tolerance for Si Wafers to sit on?

Along with the materials, if applicable manufacturing processes are identified it would be very beneficial.

Also what would be typical/ max life of the racks/jigs in a 24/7 work environment with proper stripping, rinsing and other manitenance. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
GunT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GunT said:
But does plastisol coating offer uniform, precise tolerance for Si Wafers to sit on?
No.

The rest of your questions should be addressed by someone that makes racks & jigs for the plating industry. Have you reviewed any of those listed at Finishing.com or pfonline.com?

TVP,

I appreciate your feedback. I have posted on Finishing.com, but yet to receive any replies. I would check out pfonline.com.

Thanks,
GunT

Compositepro,

My understanding is that plating racks are usually dipped in a liquid plasticized PVC (Plastisol) and later cured. Its primarily a dip coating process. So the question becomes "Does dipping coating process provide uniform, precise tolerances for Si Wafers to sit on?"

GunT you are correct about the dipping process and it is not likely to be "highly precise" (whatever you mean by that).

For high flatness you probably need to used a molding or machining process. The point is it is not the material that will solve your problem. Why not take a plastisol coated rack and heat it to soften the plastic and use a flat glass plate to create your flat surface? The point is you are asking for a material to solve your flatness issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back