Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MCHX Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC68

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2004
IN
How is the performance of MCHX all aluminium condenser coil being promoted by a few manufacturers ? The question is specific to the corrosion resistance with respect to the traditional copper tube / aluminium fins. Are there any independent studies conducted ? other than the claims of the manufacturers ?

HVAC68

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They are very similar in construction to automotive radiators (have been used in that application for 15+ years)... this technology is definitely not new, but is just being introduced into the mainstream in our industry.

I don't have anything on hand that is 'non-subjective', so I totally understand where you're coming from. Will see what I can dig up...

Based on what my coil rep was telling me all aluminum coils have been made for years for ships and other mobile or weight critical applications. Corrosion is a non issue. Herosite and other coatings can be applied to all aluminum coils. He did share that there were some issues in the manufacturing process that needed to addressed to handle the increased pressure in the R410A system.

Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with them. I considered using them for DX condenser but there is no apparent benefit: cost, performance, ease of mainenannce, longevity, pressure drop....Other than the weight benefit.

They typically utilize much less refrigerant, and are quite strong (I have one in my office, and can punch it with my fist without making a mark in the fins).

The problem is that when you have leaks they are very difficult for the average tech to repair. We had some on RTUs but replaced all of them in about 3 years. we never bought any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back