Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Medical Vault, Concrete Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

structdtl

Structural
Apr 26, 2020
US
Is anyone familiar with specs, codes, standards involved in the design of concrete structures shielding from medical equipment's radiation?

I found ASTM C637-20 and I am looking for additional references to guide the design.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience there was a physicist on the design team that lead the shielding requirements. The wall thickness ended up being around 7' thick.

OSHPD had some rules about it that we had to follow. I don't have them now. But, we had to put a special type of lead lined drywall on the walls surrounding the room to contain it/ limit it.

Thanks for the replies.

I have wall and ceiling thickness information from the physicists. I am looking for information on mix design, joint placement, construction requirements, etc. Not sure if there is a spec out there like ASTM C637-20

Having worked for the design of hospital , i remember some details,
-The exterior walls RC wall with 200 mm thk.
- The interior walls dry walls with mm lead sheet
- Ceiling and floor covered with 2 mm lead.

I know some countries use heavy concrete ( the aggregate is iron ore instead of sand and gravel).

I will suggest you to check ( if there is ) local rules from health department and ask recommendation of eq. manufacturer . I remember there is an allowed radiation ( could be from sum light also..) and the wall thk. is determined to reduce the radiation to allowable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back