Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metric Specialty Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

nornrich

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2002
US
All,

I am looking to find a chart of metric specialty threads. Our design challenge is that we have a thin wall (1.5mm) that we need a 3.5mm clearance home and then we are going to thread this hole to screw a retaining cap in place. If we back off the clear hole to 3.3mm we can then use a standard 4 x 0.7mm thread, but I would like to have a finer thread pitch. Is there anything out there like a 4mm fine pitch thread.

Regards,

Rich.....[viking2]

Richard Nornhold, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Correction: The wall thickness is now reduced to 1.187mm. So I guess the question becomes what type of thread could we use that would get us a fine enough pitch to have 3+ threads of engagement.

Rich.....[viking2]

Richard Nornhold, PE

You can still have 'specials' in metric just like you can have UNS for inch. Some are even available off the shelf from precision part suppliers like Thorlabs as CBL points out.

Assuming US take a look at ASME B1.13M-2001 section 7.6.

If it's important enough and/or you're making enough of them special threads are perfectly reasonable. We use them a lot for find adjustment, often parts from Thorlabs or sometimes we have our own made. In inch things like 80 TPI or even 100 TPI are readily available. Try finding the equivalent for metric, the link CBL gives may help.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back