Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metric straight pipe thread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FXjohn

Automotive
Mar 17, 2007
US
I'm looking to use the UG thread feature to do a M10 straight pipe thread. How do I do that?

M10x1 -6g

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NX 3.0.3.2

for some reason finding info about this particular thread size is hard to come by, let alone figuring out how to get UG to recognize it.

We don't support metric straight pipe threads in NX 3. The best you could do would be to modify say the ANSI straight pipe thread table to cover the metric specifications, but I'm not aware of anyone who has done that. In fact, I'm not even aware that there even is a 'Metric' pipe thread standard. Now I know there's a British Pipe Thread standard, BSP and BSTP threads (and we do support those in NX 6), but they are still defined in terms of Imperial (Inch) units.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

We don't support metric straight pipe threads in NX 3. The best you could do would be to modify say the ANSI straight pipe thread table to cover the metric specifications, but I'm not aware of anyone who has done that. In fact, I'm not even aware that there even is a 'Metric' pipe thread standard. Now I know there's a British Pipe Thread standard, BSP and BSTP threads (and we do support those in NX 6), but they are still defined in terms of Imperial (Inch) units.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

The person who originally did the model associated m10 x 1.25 threads with the face. I guess to be safe i should remove the thread feature altogether. I can't believe there isn't a way to do this.

It is not a pipe thread, it's a standard metric fine thread.
major dia: 10mm
pitch: 1mm
minor dia bolt: 8.773mm
minor dia female: 8.917mm
drill dia 9mm, depend on the material

M10x1 -6g: the 6g gives the thread tolerance

You need to add the values to your "thd_metric.dat", then it should work.

hope this helps

Meinolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back