Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metric Thread Callout in Drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimmyLiu

Materials
May 6, 2011
CA
I am trying to use the Feature Parameters function to call out Metric threads. But it only shows, for example M6, and not the pitch.

How can I get it to show M6x1.0?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you by any chance creating a Metric threaded-hole in an Imperial unit part file? Or perhaps creating a Drawing of a Metric piece-part model, but using an Imperial unit Drafting template?

As best that I can determine, the base units of the Drawing file will determine which Dimensioning templates can be used to create the feature dimensions of something like a Threaded-hole. If the Drawing file is an Imperial units part file, then only the 'ANSI' template will be available. However, if the Drawing file in a Metric unit part file then you will have access to the various Metric-based dimensioning templates, which includes 'ansi_mm', 'iso_din' and 'jis'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Not that I'm aware of.

The way this works is that the 'template' files (which are special NX part files found in what we call the 'inh' folder) are loaded into your drawing file and they carry the formatting examples which are used as the actual templates for whatever type of hole feature that you've selected. The issue is that the 'inh' file selected has to be of the same units as the Drawing file, and we've only supplied one Imperial units file, covering the ANSI inch standards, and 3 Metric unit files, one each for ANSI, ISO and JIS metric standards. Unfortunately these files, while they can be opened like any other NX part file, the actual template objects can NOT be edited or changed by the user and yet have them remain valid usable. That must be done by development using special software.

That being said, I would highly recommend that if you wish more coverage of other situations, that you contact GTAC and have them open PR's to cover this lack of coverage (they will probably be converted in ER's but at the moment that may be just as good).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Convert inh template files to either metric or imperial file using a utility called something like ug_convert_mmtoimperial

NX 7.5.2.5 mp2, TC 8.3

The 'template' parts John is referring to are different from the seed parts or template parts used to make new files. The utility ug_convert may have some unintended consequences. Backup your files before you experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back