Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metric Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabeSE

Civil/Environmental
Feb 23, 2007
US
I decided to make a spreadsheet to convert units that are commonly used in structural engineering and I have a couple questions:

Force: Are kilogram-force measurements ever used? I have seen a Basis of Design by Americans that used kg/m² for live loads. Is this incorrect or do some areas use this in lieu of kN/m²? Same question for kg/m line loads.

Density/Unit Weight: Is density in kg/m³ or specific weight in kN/m³ typical used. Or are both used depending on location?

Moment of Inertia: What units are typically used, m[sup]4[/sup], mm[sup]4[/sup]?

Gravity: If kg is used for loading, is it safe to use g=9.80665 m/s? Or do some locations areas adjust for latitude (I typically use 3 significant digits, but for this spreadsheet, I'd like to use 6)

I have uploaded the unfinished spreadsheet that has not been back-checked. I'd like to know if I am missing any commonly used units. Let me know if there are any glaring omissions or errors. I am trying to make it easy to modify. Additional units can be added to or deleted from the drop-down lists by inserting or deleting lines from the tables on the second sheet. The conversions mostly rely on Excel's CONVERT function.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3206103e-0871-4149-b147-42ef451bf182&file=Convert2.xlsx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back