Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 06 131

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The hanging photos in the ring video seem like they're just getting pushed over by the wall.. and not everyone hangs photos with a regular hanger anymore btw. I only use wall velcro in my house, so my photos will never tilt. But that glass (of water?) on the counter is interesting.. seems to slide to the left at the start of the video, but seems almost level. Maybe this could also be caused by the shaking people reported?

EDIT: actually.. nevermind on the glass. It seems to just look that way because the table is already sliding a bit to the right at the start of the video.

Look at the fridge, too - it looks to be recessed into the wall. The gap at the top shifts, you can see how floor and wall started out orthogonal, end frame not so much. It looks like it's mostly the vertical members of that far wall being compressed to an angle much like the doorway column to the left, but probably some tilting of the floor plane as the structure is shifting into full collapse as well.

edit: There's a lot going on to the left, in looking at the frame on the wall, I noticed the cabinet (I think?) next to it, guessing over the sink. Check out the right vertical edge in relation to the fridge recess; also, the distance from the top to the ceiling is noticeably diminished.

Could the movement of the tall, black object on the right be due to the following?
- The floor slab has disconnected from the column
- The floor slab is falling while the column is not
- But the column still has some chunks of floor attached to it, which is creating the effect of the lifting/tilting the black object due to its proximity to the column, while the rest of the floor below it is falling

This would explain why there's no visible hinge/ridge in the floor slab between the camera and the kitchen, despite the evidence that the south side of the room has fallen relative to the kitchen (north side). Perhaps the whole floor flab has effectively "punched through" this column connection and is now sliding downward, more at the south than the north, as it continues to maintain rough planarity, just at an angle.

There is also a dark rectangular patch on the wall to the left of the fridge. The distance between the patch and the fridge closes several inches between the first and last frame. The floor definitely racks right to left vis a vis the wall/ceiling.

If one column line descended first, the cascade could step at each successive column line as the weak slab column interface lets go. The floor to ceiling height could be kept in check by cmu partitions.

For the CCTV footage from 87 Park I have found it simple to load, pause, and scrub the video from the original Twitter post. Works a little better on computer - i.e. mouse and a big screen - but a phone is manageable

Doing this I have no problem identifying the PH roof parapet as well as PH balcony parapet falling without something substantial preceding them. The lights being on despite already falling 1-2 stories is because the front facade is falling ahead of the back, where the electric supply is coming from. The distinct shape of the west half of PH roof is clearly recognizable early in the fall as it tilts toward the viewer. For reference, daylight view of PH roof:

I dont understand what relevance the ring video has, other than showing that the unit was on the verge of destruction at T-x. But we know that. Where are you guys hoping to take all of this video analysis? Seems like mucho work, poco value. Not to discredit the thought and work you all are doing, Maybe I just don't see where this path goes. We might be looking at gravity + acceleration particle vectors that don't have to point down. Without exterior visual references, in an aircraft, you can't tell if up is down, or down is left, right or up. Please explain.

I agree with the above somewhat.

Also appreciate the efforts , and it is useful, but lets not over analyse / obsess over it, or the Tiktok video. for that matter. Frankly trying to identify things in that one is ridiculous.. its blurry unidentifiable rubble at location x, end of story

would be really good to hear some opinions on the latest photos of the cleanup. Are they beams sitting in the water? east of the knee wall on ramp ?

In the 711 ring video.

There's two things we could be hearing in the beginning of the video. Could be the deck collapsing section by section, or columns progressively failing under compression one by one.

But it does appear that there's a large crash (which woke the camera and gives us the first indication of the room becoming a trapezoid) followed by a thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thumpthumpthump, thump, that seems to originate from the left and move closer to the microphone source.
Falling debris such as glass and concrete shards, and presumably things inside people's units, are also heard falling.
After the last thump which seems to be much closer and now more below, though still not audibly on the right hand side of the microphone.

Silence and debris stops falling

Snap, from all the way to the left, along with the swaying motion we see and metal groaning reappears, which could also be pipes reverberating. At the moment of this snap, if you watch the sink at the center of the video, it snaps up. I think at this moment we're in free fall. The source of this snap I believe could be where the collapsed section detached from the CMU at the upper level.

Shortly after, we hear the pancaking from below. 5 or 6 rapidly increasing in volume and pace radiate up from below on all sides.

I don't think the source of the thumping is the pool deck, as I believe that was already on the ground.
Close your eyes and listen. Just soak it all in on repeat.

We certainly can't see much, but there's as whole lot of directional sound.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

That is a lot to make out of 12.5 seconds of mono sound... The initial movement of the empty TV box still puzzles me in light of all the slow building movements, and I can but speculate on the loud snap. I will point out there's likely a glass shelf in that corner of the living room before it goes to hallway & bedrooms... because 611 had that. Who knows what Rosie put up there. The support column L8 is behind that shelf, incidentally.

Say, aren't there 3 lights hanging off the kitchen ceiling? Spent all that time making GIFs and analyzing gravity & wall angles, missed an easy one. :)

I agree. Careful step through the CCTV footage shows the rotation of the western PH parapet toward the viewer exposing the dark roof. A light in torn-open area of the surviving building near the machinery room show that the whole section has already dropped. You can count floors (as the guy did on the Spanish language video) and confirm the number of floor present. I also notice at around 03 seconds two ?columns emerging briefly unsupported from the rear of the rotating and falling roof.

I found this video to have some the best detail (resolution) of some of the reinforcement that I could find.
Look at the concrete pool deck slab edge in the first screen capture...
Capture_mxfoja.jpg

Capture-z_qgmqgh.jpg

Video Link:

Couple Ring video theories:

1) I still think the TV box movement is due to the room tilting slightly right, but another possibility is buckling somewhere in that wall, similar to what you see towards the front door. Buckling moves the box.

2) I think the appearance of the dark cabinet/fridge moving on the right is due to the camera sliding towards the right. The camera table pretty clearly slides to the right at the end of the video. So camera is getting a different line of sight on the cabinet/fridge as it move right.

Just observational, but in photos below you can see former column bases K-9.1, L-9.1, and M-9.1 from left to right. This is generally ground zero for the building collapse. M-9.1 is the standing column in the TikTok video. The rebar in the photo is the vertical rebar that anchored the columns to the foundation pile caps. They've probably removed what was left of the actual columns for forensics. Noted that the rebar in K-9.1 and M-9.1 look to be in pretty good shape while L-9.1 appears to have been obliterated.

Capture_tvcoyl.png

jbourne8 (Computer) said:
AtomixPro, you can see the order people have been found at this site. It seems like for the most part, the people in x4 apartments seem to be getting found last. Just step back in time to see how it's progressed - They do label Cassondra's apartment incorrectly, but the rest seems to be accurate.

The archive link is to the New York Times floor chart. They don't list Cassondra at all, and they are correct about the occupants of 412. It seems that Cassondra moved last year, probably to unit 410 (marked unknown by the NYT). See this Reddit comment for details.

No dowels at all. It might actually be a slightly gapped expansion joint to accommodate left-right thermal movement. The upper surface separation appears straight enough. Maybe a shear key at best. In any case, there is no bar continuity across it.

23DSoftwareDev (Computer)14 Jul 21 05:35 said:
tall black object behind the couch moves
First Thank You
I also have a request; could you make a gif holding the bar and the stools fix?
I know this is not easy (I tried to line up all the frames of the FIU dash cam video to account for the vehicle movement). If the floor moved right, does the top of the black object remain stationary?

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back