Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 12 60

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How the tower fell (not why!)
This is the first image from the surveillance CCTV...
Slide1_iqzcpd.jpg

Now the camera is warmed up...
Slide2_og5ytz.jpg

Central section falling, East section, not so much.
Slide3_bi1ngp.jpg

Central section still falling, East section, still not so much.
Slide4_h8grat.jpg

First clear evidence of east section floors tipping next to center section.
Slide5_wgcvkh.jpg

First clear evidence of floors tipping east of column (j13?)(sheet P4 of 11) 1979 plans pdf 10 of 336.
N10 (sheet S9 of 14) 1979 plans pdf 27 of 336.
Slide6_ufz3ee.jpg

column (N10) continues falling, roof line appears intact?
Slide7_wkfla7.jpg

Last frame I've downloaded.
Slide8_tcwfii.jpg

edit: Sorry, I forgot to attach the power-pointy file: (It' set up as a slide show...)

Perhaps an M1A1 Battle Wagon (Abrahms tank).
We can more accurately surmise that the rebar is not GREATLY corroded - it took some severe bending without snapping. Thus shifting focus to concrete quality at the time.

EDIT: disregard I did this wrong. Leaving here so the following posts make sense

Re 'missing' column - @Spartan5 pulled this screencap from a site video in part 8. You can clearly see M11.1's bottom rebar sticking up like all the other columns, so it certainly wasn't 'missing' up to a height of about 3'.

cts-after-clearance-column-ident_bice5a.jpg

Red Corona said:
You can clearly see M11.1's bottom rebar sticking up like all the other columns

The rebar sticking up in the right hand square is from column 27, otherwise known as column M10. The pile was pushed from M11.1 toward the drive ramp before this photo was taken.

Wait up, the column in your picture is M10 not M11.1 and M11.1 is clearly missing. M10 is 1 spot away from ramp. The 10 columns are at the edge of building. M11.1 is the thin column under pool deck connected via beam. Your photo of the basement is M10.

JDATL.

You evidently missed my point. I know what rebar you are pointing at. I'm merely pointing out there is a ton of other rebar equally (if not more so) damaged, and therefore how contrived the vehicle impact argument is by just picking out the bent rebar which supports that 'theory' whilst ignoring all the other equally damaged rebar all around the site.

Did something drive into all the other rebar which bent those too!?

Can we please just put the whole vehicle theory to bed. This building wasn't brought down by a car.

It still appears that there is a bundle of rebar there at M11.1 in the rubble pile laying over to the South-East but it's hard to tell from that picture if it was mangled by that excavator, the falling building, or an Abrahms M1 tank.
Of course velocity has a large effect on impact damage. Perhaps a vehicle traveling at 88 MPH with a net force of 1.21 jigggawhats of energy. That just might be enough to vaporize that tiny column and it would explain without a doubt why no car was found against the column.
Check your time coordinates.

Three ways a column can fail. Punching shear, most of pool deck, buckling, under building. And lastly, bottom shear from vehicle impact :)

M11.1 is a bottom shear. Find me a single photo of its intact rebar at the bottom.

Lol ok that's what I get for doing that in a rush. Yeah you're right this pic isn't the one I was looking for, 11.1 line is still buried under the debris here.

RandomTask said:
Can we please just put the whole vehicle theory to bed. This building wasn't brought down by a car.

New theory: crane operator put a car full of tar paper on the roof (because it was easier to lift the whole car instead of unloading it first). In doing so they damaged the parapet wall ever so slightly. They had planned on loading old AC units onto the car to be lowered down with the crane at a later date.

While driving the car around on the roof the night of the collapse, one of the engine rods started to fail (loud knocking noises). But these laborers, being the really bad coked up Floridian type, kept driving it anyway.

The car then threw the engine rod through the block. It spun out on the oil slick, and crashed through the previously damaged parapet wall.

These guys, not being total f-ups, had considered this could happen and had tied the car off with an extension cord to a roof anchor. The roof anchor, having been poorly installed because they were drunk, failed to arrest the fall of the car. This was all signed off on at the highest level of town officials.

The car, laden with ac units and tarpaper tolls, plummeted to the ground trailing a long length of cord and a roof anchor (maybe more than one, we can’t be sure about that).

It smashed through the patio after glancing off of a planter which redirected it at a 45° angle right into the base of M11.1, totally obliterating it, and leaving behind the telltale u-shaped hook in the regard one would expect of the bumper of a Volvo station wagon.

It’s all there in the pile that has a few cones around it. PowerPoint to follow.

I think the photos above with the green square around "column M11.1 are wrong, I think that is M10, and M11.1 was damaged so badly there is none left of it to show in the rubble pile. I need a link to the video directly so I can see larger but M11.1 should be in line with those 2 excavator shovels and looks like you can see a stub of it on the garage floor in line with them.

OK, I found the video, and took this screenshot from a better angle, and I added my labels showing you where M11.1 should be, it is still under the shallow end of the dirt pile, which means there is not much left of that column, just like I showed in my video that I shot at the site on Friday. Hope this helps!

site_updates_efiuuh.png

There were several columns that were cut way down or only had 1-3 strands of rebar showing after they cleared the basin. TBF, that particular one is in what seems to be ground zero tho.

ax_hqedhb.jpg

I think the ones sprayed with red are the columns used for demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back