Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part IV 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
JAE...Thanks. I remember your noting the concrete mix comment. The titanium dioxide would only serve to lighten the concrete color. GGBFS coloring is distinctive....a blue-green color until it dries and oxidizes in air, then it becomes more grayish like conventional portland cement paste. I've seen footings that were removed after 10 years and freshly broken that had GGBFS and they had the distinctive color, only to lose it in a few days of exposure and drying.

Maybe, but the shear forces are higher in plane BB than AA.

Also I think the end of the tendons may not be as straight as you show and in fact the ends may separate, with the upper one bent upwards and attached into a plate or similar in member 12 and the lower one bent down to anchor itself in the base.

Hence the tension on the lower tendon in particular would act to increase the shear capacity in plane BB, but when it was released.... Conjecture of course, but I did see a small detail looking like this before, but that may have been for the longitudinal sections.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The discussion will continue in Part V. This thread is closed.

Post here: thread815-437029

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back