Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Pedestrian Bridge, Part X 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAE

Structural
Jun 27, 2000
US
A continuation of our discussion of this failure. Best to read the other threads first to avoid rehashing things already discussed.

Part I
thread815-436595

Part II
thread815-436699

Part III
thread815-436802

Part IV
thread815-436924

Part V
thread815-437029

Part VI
thread815-438451

Part VII
thread815-438966

Part VIII
thread815-440072

Part IX
thread815-451175

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SFCharlie (Computer)16 Jun 19 15:02

Now I need to find something that indicates specific response by FIGG. So far, I'm so mixed up by length of thread, I'm no longer effective.

Here is excerpt from email I just found.
Source updated 5/21/19

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/14/18 9:36 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Rodrigo Isaza <risaza@mcm-us.com>
Cc: John Cal <jcal@fiu.edu>, Patrick Meagher <pmeagher@fiu.edu>, Alberto De=
lgado <delgadoa@fiu.edu>, Stuart Grant <smgrant@fiu.edu>
Subject: Re: Barnhartcrane Video--BRIDGE MOVING

Rodrigo. We will have FIU staff present. Thank you for the call and email.

Kenneth A. Jessell, Ph.D., MBA
Senior Vice President for Financial Affairs/CFO
Florida International University
305-348-2101

On Mar 14, 2018, at 8:50 AM, Rodrigo Isaza <risaza@mcm-us.com<mailto:risaza=
@mcm-us.com>> wrote:

Ken,

While FIGG has further evaluated and confirmed that [highlight #FCE94F]the cracks encounter=
ed on the diaphragm[/highlight] do not pose a safety issue and/or concern, be advised F=
IGG will be onsite tomorrow morning to complete its evaluation and will lik=
e to meet with the group to clarify and explain what has occurred.

Having said that, please advise if your team will be available for a sho=
rt meeting at the site tomorrow at 9AM.

Thank you

RODRIGO ISAZA | Sr. Project Manager | PH: 305-541-0000 - Ext 371 | M: 30=
5-970-6989

MCM | 6201 SW 70th St., 2nd Floor, Miami, FL 33143 |

SFCharlie (Computer)16 Jun 19 15:12
Is this correct, or do they just mean groutted?

Poured after groutting.

The grout is pumped in via grout tubes except 2 and 11. In addition, all blisters are filled with cement. Blisters for 2 and 11 have foam fillers placed before pour to allow for re-access to live ends of PT bars. I presume they also had to keep cement out of the duct.

jrs_87
I think your post and my edit crossed in the cloud ether...
I don't have the bigger cracks, pre-move email saved on my computer, so I'll have to go searching for it. It somehow slipped out in spite of the NTSB ban, so maybe it was written before NTSB's outoff date?
Thamks

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

jrs_87 in your post of 16 Jun 19 15:19 I saw the email for Stuart Grant - he is the guy who took the SE view & groundlevel timelapse videos, and is likely involved with FIU's still image photography as well. I looked him up and he one of six members of FIU's Planning Staff, which in turn is a subdivision of FIU's Facilities Management (see the tabs at top of Planning Staff page). If you're looking for new rabbit holes to dive into, those names and links should provide a good starting point.

ADD: in the email you referred to, the subject was "Barnhartcrane Video--BRIDGE MOVING" which I assume refers to the Stuart Grant groundlevel timelapse that I was concerned about earlier. I have since found out the move was stopped because of wireless problems, which I now assume was between the SPMT units. My concern was that the south units were apparently moving while the north units were not, which was causing the span to slip and pivot on the north unit cribbing, which I assumed may have caused some damage to the canopy since it was anchored to the SPMT arms. The move was halted for a considerable time shortly after that. Lots of assumptions on my part, but sometimes when there are a few wisps of smoke there is fire...

ADD 2: The ground level video was removed from Stuart Grant's YT page, and I had to piece together the slowed down version (Part 1 Part 2) from two other sources who downloaded it before Grant took the original down.

jrs_87 first mention of larger cracks is in your post 1 May 18 23:35
MikeW7 - Stuart Grant was deeply involved in documenting the construction of the bridge.. I'm sure this was all very painful to him personally. please tread softly. We all owe him alot for the videos he provided on youTube.

I believe most of the photo & video work by Stuart Grant can still be found on the Dropbox link, Link

What FIGG knew & when they knew it was pretty well covered in the OSHA report.

SFCharlie: I think what was intended, was to indicate that the openings/voids in the top of the other permanently tensioned Blisters were poured.

epoxybot said:
I believe most of the photo & video work by Stuart Grant can still be found on the Dropbox link

Thanks for the link - I was unaware of it. Is this a personal upload, an evidence trove, or what? If there are no objections I will add clips from any relevant videos to Whirled Gnus.

EDIT: Never mind about the pictures. Whatever it is also appears in the on-board camera view. Doesn't cast a shadow, so might be a pre-exisiting crack from the casting area.

expoxybox, MikeW7, SFCarlie, your posts are great. Thanks. Always enjoy following them.

The DropBox files were a great source of information in the early days of this thread.

MikeW7 (Electrical)16 Jun 19 21:24, your call out of dark line is intriguing. (I see it is not to be confused with torch scorch mark) Is the perspective in the last image an optical foreshortening illusion?

I found in emails from FIGG instructions for pouring deck. Up to one cold joint was allowed for the deck. A bulkhead is called out (to form the joint?).

Lastly, did you all catch in the OSHA report the note that the first deck pour was botched and had to be jack-hammered out? There are also FDOT notes asking for flexible forming so as to not constrain curing deck.

jrs_87 - Whatever I saw is visible in Grant's On-Board Camera video before the bridge is even moved. I went ahead and uploaded a couple of slo-mos (half-speed) of closeups of the DJI_0013 video in a new Drone Footage Playlist.

In the Move part 1 - SW view video you can see somebody in a lime-green jacket (VSL? - Hanson???) climb up on the pier at 0:12 and look at that area, so they must have known about it.

Had Denney-Pate/FIGG seen these cracks when they gave the structure the thumbs up? Was is already cracking like this when they did their calculations which proved it was ok? Who did the red markups?

EDIT: nevermind. The bad cracking as shown below is in the FIGG structural analysis presentation meeting minutes
A bit odd to maintain trust in your own analysis when the member is already punching out...

update-fullsize.jpg

cracks_fiu_bridge.jpeg

Re: 8" pipe in Diaphragm 2, I previously posted "I assumed it was a sleeve - for a smaller dia pipe thru"
Looking closer that is wrong (the old assumption trick again). The 8" pipe was to be connected to an 8" pipe, using a flexible connection or Flexible section of pipe. Pipe slopes were to follow the deck slopes.
And the deck appears to slope toward the pylon from both the south and north sections.
How much slope? I cannot wrap my head around the elevations provided - something about a missing gene which prevents believing what I see thru a computer screen (it prevented me from learning cad drafting) so I must see it on paper. It is a moot point at this time, so I should be able to get over it and move on.

Vance Wiley said:
How much slope?
I mosied around the Pate-signed construction plans last night and this is what I found:
[ul]
[li]Page 62/110 (sheet B-37) PGL elevation at column 1 (location A) is 30.693[/li]
[li]Page 32/110 (sheet B-24) PGL elevation at center of pylon is 32.44[/li]
[li]Difference is 1.747 feet, which is 1% of span length, as advertised.[/li]
[/ul]

I had to look up PGL because I didn't know what it was, but I figured it out. The Delphi Method doesn't always need "experts", it just needs curious people with functioning brains and some decent technical background. Bear that in mind because I'm just a retired steelworker with a BSEE I never used, and a lot of spare time on my hands.

ADDS:
[ul]
[li]Pylon to column 1 slope is 1% for deck and canopy, and curb-to-center slope of deck is 2%.[/li]
[li]Curb-to-curb width at inside faces is exactly 30 feet.[/li]
[li]I never found curb height but I assume it has to be minimum 4" (OSHA standard for toe boards). It should be a LOT higher to prevent errant skateboards from being launched into somebody's windshield.[/li]
[li]There is something on page 87/100 (sheet B-62) about a "water line" that is 1" high at inside curb face, with nearby notations about electrical work.[/li]
[/ul]

Tomfh (Structural)16 Jun 19 23:52

Tomfh said:
Had Pate seen...

The first photo I believe is in the 3/15/18 presentation on the projector. < I will try to check.

The second one is from 3/14/18?, so... It's this type of detail I'm trying to work out. What did Pate know and when did he know it? I understand assertion OSHA report contains this, but I see room for further inquiry.

I wonder if these old articles still have bearing? >

No charges
(paywall may stop your view) (The jackhammer video portion of article is satisfying.)

Criminal Charges “Improbable”

jrs_87 said:
paywall may stop your view

In Firefox I can get around the paywall by right-clicking a Miami Herald link and selecting "Open link in new private window" - this works for many other sites, but not the biggies like NYTimes or WaPo.

jrs 87 said:
The first photo I believe is in the 3/15/18 presentation on the projector. < I will try to check.

Yes it is, I updated my post accordingly.

The punch-out/tear-out failure was clearly underway, and they appeared to be aware of it - hence the talk of "capturing the node" by temporarily tying it back to the previous node until the final (lower stress) condition was in place.

What I don't understand is why they continued to believe their numbers when the failure was so well advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back