Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MicroLogix 1100 programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

abernut

Computer
Oct 8, 2007
US
Hello,
I am the IT for a small company..(I can hear everyone gasping for a breath) I was an electronics tech for the Navy for 8 years and have experience in C++ programming.

My question is:
We have a simple Pneumatic machine ran by a MicroLogix 1100 that we use to compress fittings onto a part. We need the two actuators(one on each end) to stay down for 2 more seconds. The company that installed the system would like to charge us over $3K to come and take care of this.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard. I have the schematics for the machine and know where the extend and extract signals come from...I just don't have any experience with working on PLC's

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your issue sounds like a simple program change.
If this is true then it would take a short amount of time to change the program and test it.
However you must have the appropriate Rockwell software for your Micrologic controller in order to do this. As roydm asked "do you have the software".

You will have to change what you think about programming to go from C++ to ladder. If you want some idea about what it takes to program the 1100, we have videos on our PLCMentor.com site that are on the SLC which is very similar to the 1100 and programmed with the same software. 3k does sound a little steep for that program change, but I would assume that most of it is travel expenses.

Russell

Russell White, P.E.
Automation Technologies, Inc.

Automation Training

not a plc solution but simple just the same.
Use the outputs from the logix that drive the actuators to instead drive some timing relays. Use the timing relay outputs to drive the actuators for 2 seconds longer than normal and then release.
The timing relay contacts would have to be normally open, close on energization, and open after time delay. i am sure these relays exist, I have used them in the past. You can also vary the time delay to your preference if needed.
I am not familiar with all your operating parameters but I am sure that with a little ingenuity you can work around the PLC for minor issues and save a bunch of money.
A relay like this was worth about 150 dollars 15yrs ago so I am positive they are way cheaper now.
I have modified numerous machines in the past by using simple relay logic when a PLC was readily available. Some customers want relays for numerous reasons and I will comply with whatever they want.
Whatever the case a 2 second time delay shouldnt be so expensive. You could probably buy the software for less than that. But being AB I doubt it.
It also seems funny nowadays because everyone has modems and online access. your software vendor should be able to make a time change remotely? These days you can find anything for software. Look around and access the PLC yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back