Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODELLING A CIRCULAR/ELLIPTICAL FRONT AXIAL CRACK IN A PIPE WALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechsid

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2008
I am able to model circular/elliptical fronted cracks in a plate but i am stuck with modelling the crack tip region with swept wedge elements and structured hex elements in a wall of a pipe(cylinder).

Using partition tool in ABAQUS i find that while sweep/extruding the J-contour edges sketched on a flat face they do not extend fully to the inner/outer wall of the pipe especially when modelling axial semi-thickness cracks.

Is there a special program to generate this elemental/nodal-data or can i do it in ABAQUS-CAE using partioning tools as for flat plates.

I am using the QUEST-RELIABILITY CORPS benchmark for crack tip meshing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi mechsid

The best way I have found to do this is to 1st create a mesh part of the cracked plate and then write a python script to transform the node locations in the plate to those of the required cylindrical geometry.

bfillery

Dear Bfillery,

Are there any special purpose programs available for causing these node transformations for variety of crack topologies.

Thanks
mechsid

Hi mechsid

There are no special purpose programs for this transformation that i know of. You will have to write your own python code to do this. There are a few commercial programs that do generalised crack tip meshing such as Zencrack.

bfillery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back