Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modular finite element analysis software

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHristov

Aerospace
Oct 31, 2020
GB
Hi everyone,

First time posting to Eng-Tips, so hopefully this is the right way to do it.

I am doing research on iterative solvers and would like to ask if there are any modular FEA packages out there. Let me explain. What I am after is something along the lines of Geometry modeller (optional) -> Boundary condition/Load processor -> Meshing routine (different elements ideally) -> Solver -> Post-processor. At every step "->" information from the modules should be exportable in some format (doesn't matter what, this can be taken care of with a custom piece of code) and importable to the next. In my particular case, I want to run the above pipeline up to and including the Meshing step, export assembled global matrices and load vectors and use them to get displacements from the custom solver I work on. These displacements, formatted appropriately should then go the Post-processor module to get stresses, strains, etc.

This might be a tall order, but I had to ask. Alternatively, a software which can work with externally generated displacement data would also do in a pinch.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only thing I've seen remotely close to that is an educational software package that we used in college. We called it CALSD at UC San Diego. My impression is that it was a PC / bastardized version of the main frame version of SAPIV. But, that was 1994-ish. I don't know if it still exists or if it they're still using it to teach structural analysis or what.

Thank you very much, GregLocock!

GregLocock said:
I'd have thought you have described almost any heavy weight FEM package.

The problem is they are all (?) monolithic - you start with their pre-processor and you end with their post-processor.

GregLocock said:
In what way does the workflow CAD->Hypermesh->Nastran-> Hypergraph not do what you want?

I have not heard about the HyperWorks Suite, which I have now checked out. My question is have you used it yourself? Specifically do you know if Hypergraph can take me from displacements to stresses/strains. Reason for asking is that HyperWorks seems a heavy software which I don't want to download only to find that it doesn't work for me.

r13 said:
Isn't the "computer software forum" a better place for such question/information!

Potentially. I thought it might be relevant for FEM practitioners.

He may get better response, here... the reason I often use the Structural forum.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I think you'll find that this is generally not possible, since each subsequent module depends solely on what's provided by the previous module, and much of that, past the geometry processing, is dependent or proprietary algorithms. In particular, the meshing algorithms go hand-in-hand with the solver, and using someone else's mesher is likely to occasionally break the solver.

Post processors tend to be a little more freer and many solvers output data that can be processed by different post-processors.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

dik,

He's more in the programming side - to find and assemble the founded modules/solvers into a usable/commercial-type program. OP is an assembler. It does not like he has specific question in structural programming.

Thank you all for your input. It is much appreciated!

I am not a programmer, but my query relates to research that will hopefully become useful eventually. As dik said I was hoping that someone else might have been in the situation, but I will definitely check the link.

IRstuff said:
I think you'll find that this is generally not possible, since each subsequent module depends solely on what's provided by the previous module, and much of that, past the geometry processing, is dependent or proprietary algorithms. In particular, the meshing algorithms go hand-in-hand with the solver, and using someone else's mesher is likely to occasionally break the solver.

I thought this might be the case. I am not looking for blazing fast speeds or high level reliability (usually selling points for proprietary software), so I guess I will have to look more towards experimental/university products.

Thanks again!

I believe GTSTRUDL may be able to do what you are looking for. It's been years since I've used it, but there are a many commands for exporting data along the way. It's input file-based, so you can control how it runs. It has an extensive user manual, so if you can get your hands on a copy, you can get a good idea if it would work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back