Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monorail Crane/Hoist Beam Markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2alpha

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2008
US
I'm certifying some monorail crane beams for a customer. The customer wants the rails (All I-beams) marked with the load capacity. I've looked into the ASME B30.11 and B30.16 for the marking requirements but they only mention the actual lifting equipment (marking the hoists, lifting equipment etc.)

Anybody know where I can find the spec for marking the actual beams, or if there is such a specification?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

c2alpha,

In British Columbia we have it referenced in the Heath, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia 2003 section 4.13.8 (2) "Permanent Signs: The safe working load shall be mardked on the load block and superstructure of hoisting equipment and shall be maintained in legible condition"

There is no mention of size of signs or any other detail other then "legible"

Don't think that my reference will help, but it may be a similar issue and you might need to check the local building codes or specifications.

Check with OSHA and potentially state regulations.
1926.550(a)(2) said:
Rated load capacities, and recommended operating speeds, special hazard warnings, or instruction, shall be conspicuously posted on all equipment. Instructions or warnings shall be visible to the operator while he is at his control station.

jt

Thanks Ya'll. OSHA just says it has to be legible from the ground, so that's what I'm going to go with.

It's good practice to mark your beams with the derated capacity if your hoist or hook is less than the beam capacity. Just so there's no confusion and there's one rating on everything. Or if you've got two trolleys on one beam I would put 2 X 20 ton, for example, so the operator knows the each hook's capacity and the total capacity.

ASME B30.2 might have some marking criteria as well but I don't have a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back