Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Movable datum targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garland23

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2021
US
I've rarely seen movable datum targets in my work, so this might be just an academic question. Here is an example from a well-known GD&T textbook (Krulikowski) that shows a pair of movable targets hyphenated with the diagonal B1-B2 datum targets. On the other hand, the Y14.5 standard shows a very similar idea here but they have the movable targets separate from the diagonal targets.

Which do you think is correct: |A|B|C| or |A|B-C|

Or am I missing something that makes them different scenarios?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would go with the example from Y14.5.
Not really sure it is a good idea to combine movable datum target as a common datum with the non movable ones. It is the same idea that is probably not a good idea to combine MMC with RFS on a common datum feature like |B(M)-C|
maybe (B-C| or |B(M)-C(M)| but not a combination of those.

In plane rotation in both cases is managed by the simultaneous application of B and C. Because Y14.5 doesn't have a way to separate out contributions but by the tedious Custom DRF system they cannot use:

[A (planar orientation, location) |B-C (planar orientation) | B (axis location)]

In the examples the final contact points with B are not determined until there is contact with C, so B-C makes sense, but some see the FCF as a step-by-step shop floor instruction and not necessarily the order of application of geometric controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back