Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

My intern now makes more than me?!? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttuterry

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2006
US
The company I work for started a Civil/Survey department in August 2008. I began working here in September as a Civil EIT. I now have worked 2 and half years as an EIT. It was just me and my boss in the department until he hired an "intern" in January. The intern is going to school for his Bachelor's in Civil but he also has about 20 years of survey experience. To make a long story short, the intern threatened to quit for a number of reasons. Well my boss had a meeting with the owner of the company, and they decided to give him a $10 AN HOUR RAISE!! Of course I didn't hear this from the boss, but I heard it from the intern since me and him are pretty close and are the only two people working for my boss. So I am sitting here with a degree and am quite knowledgeable in AutoCAD and now my intern makes $2 per hour more than me. Everyone I know says that I should have a discussion with my boss about this. What should I do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

he also has 20 years of experience surveying. i understand that he's in school to be an engineer.....but a lot of techs do make more than engineers especially when they're so experienced. i had a PE, and MS, a BS and a whatever other letters after my name, and i'm still pretty sure i was making less than our head draftsman who had 30-40 years of experience, but nary a degree to his name. and he deserved it.

So you have a little over two years experience as an EIT and you are disappointed because you are not earning as much as a guy with over twenty years of experience. How many years of relevant work experience do you have; 2.5 years? I believe that you overestimate the value of a degree and underestimate the value that comes with a significant amount of work experience. Stop comparing your salary to what your more skilled coworker earns and compare it with what most EITs are being paid. If you are underpaid in comparison with EITs in your field and in your geographic area, talk to your boss; but be prepared to find another job if you do not like the outcome of the dialog.

I understand that he has a lot of survey experience. I just question the whole situation because a $10 an hour raise is a lot of money. And my intern told me that when they offered him the job that they had to do some serious thinking about giving him his previous hourly wage. It seems that they should have started him out at a higher wage maybe.

I have to agree with Zapstar that you should be comparing your salary to "your" situation and not his. Your degree only holds relevance for about five years and then after that it will come down to experience. Once you have it, companies will pay for it accordingly.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Am I missing something? How does 20 years of surveying experience translate into CE dollars? I could see 20 years of surveying translating into surveying dollars - maybe he worked as a surveyor for a long time and is just not going to school to get a degree for it. That doesn't seem to be the case, though.

There is a reason that they license surveyor and engineers separately, that's because they don't do the same job.

The intern is essentially that, an intern. He wouldn't be an intern at a surveying company, but he is working at a CE company.

What am I missing?

StructuralEIT-you pretty much hit it right on. He has done surveying for a long time and now wants to become an RPLS, so he is now going to school just to get a degree. My boss is an RPLS so my intern works under him and they do most of the survey work that we do here the company. And then my intern will draw up the surveys and have me help him. He is actually pretty much just strictly doing survey work and not really helping with any of the CE work. This kind of brings up another thought I am having. It seems that maybe my boss is focused on the surveying part of the department and throwing the civil part to the side.

How much engineering is it really? It sounds like he's doing the surveying along with the boss. With just your boss and you, how much capacity do you really have for engineering work?

Whatever the work actually is, a degree, 2.5 years' experience, and "quite knowledgeable in AutoCAD" is not equal to 20 years' experience. They may certainly be different, but they are not equal. You may be surprised how much "engineering" some surveyors know.

Lastly, is he really "your" intern?

A thought I had as I read these posts, it appears you may be destined to becoming his (your intern) intern. Have you picked up on the same thing?

Good luck,
Latexman

"How does 20 years of surveying experience translate into CE dollars?"

I don't think they are paying for CE experience, but for the transferable skills that he brings to the table. A person with 20 years of experience would not get the same pay as a 20 year old just coming into this field. Did you honestly think that a person with this much experience (I guess coming into this small business) would get the same pay as a Jr Engineer or intern that is 20 years younger than he is? Plus this person might have contacts in the field that may be beneficial to the company and it is these things that the company is paying.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

He probably doesnt get vacation or insurance since he works there part time. So you are still ahead.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Hmmm. I've got about 3 years of experience, and I'd definitely expect to be paid less than a drafter with 20 years of experience. In fact, I am currently, and I'm learning a lot from him.

Maybe you should worry less about how much he makes, and do your job. Then you'll get that $2 raise in no time!

Then you'll be on par with him. That's what you want, isn't it?

V

In today's market, just be glad you have a steady job. Many of us are not so fortunate. Talk money AFTER the economy imoroves and the availability of other engineers to fill your position dwindles.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Are you keeping score? Does his salary affect your ability to meet your financial obligations? Were you upset about your salary prior to finding out about his raise?

If the answer to those questions is "no" then get the hell over it. The less you focus on what someone else in the office is making the more energy you'll have to do your own job.

I've been doing engineering for 30 years. I've been doing CAD for 20. I've never equated one with the other. Not a single time. AutoCAD is one of the suite of tools I use to communicate the results of my Engineering Analysis, but it is no more important than my expertise in flow-modeling, Microsoft Access, or MathCad--they're all just tools, you might as well say "I'm a dab-hand with a screwdriver". Saying "I'm quite knowledgeable in CAD" as an engineering qualification is a clear indication that your skills are about at the level of a 2-year draftsman and if a 2-year draftsman is making $2/hour less than a 20-year surveyor then you are seriously overpaid.

Personally, if I were you I would keep my mouth shut, my head down, and try to develop some skills beyond AutoCAD.

David

vc66-
I agree with your statement. Let's say that same drafter with the same 20 yrs of experience decided to become an engineer. He talked to your boss and he now became an EIT at your firm. He is no longer a draftsman, and while that experience may benefit it doesn't translate directly. Would you still feel the same with the above scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back