Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help On Excel Combo Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDJACKSON

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2003
GB
I need to know if there is a way to connect multiple drop down list containing different data to a single combo box based on a calculated numeric value of a cell.

EXAMPLE:

If cell K6 contains the calculated numeric value of 19, I want the combo box drop down list to contain data values of the numeric value 19 in cell K6 value to pick from.

If cell K6 contains the calculated numeric value of 7, I want the same combo box drop down list to contain a different set of data values to pick from.

Thanks For Any Help J. D. Jackson B.S. M.E. & B.S. E.E.
TransContinental Engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me just clarify this:

You want the combo box drop down list to differ, depending upon the value in some cell?

For instance, you might have two lists: one called "ListFor19" and the other called "ListFor7". If the value in the cell is 19, you want list "ListFor19" to appear in the combo box; if the value in the cell is 7, you want list "ListFor7" to appear in the combo box.

Let me know if this is what you want and I think I can show you how to do it! You may also want to consider just using Excel's data validation drop-down list instead of a combo box?

Brian

Thanks for your input Brian. Yes, what I am doing is using another combo box to select a pipe size in a drop down list that returns a value from 1 to 19 depending on the pipe size. I then take this returned index number from the combo box linked cell and use a lookup function to get the actual O.D. of the pipe from another sheet in the workbook.

I now need to select the wall thickness of the selected pipe size by using the index number of the first combo box. I now need another combo box that has the functionality of presenting different sets of data in the drop down menu based on the numerical index value of the first combo box.

The way I currently have the pipe data on the second sheet is index number 1 is in A1, pipe size is in B1, pipe O.D. in C1, pipe schedule D1, and C1 for the associated wall thickness for D1. This continues across the spreadsheet for all the pipe schedules and wall thichness associated with the specific size of pipe defined in B1. The pipe data continues to row 19. J. D. Jackson B.S. M.E. & B.S. E.E.
TransContinental Engineering

JDJACKSON - I think I built a sheet that is EXACTLY what you are doing. Pipe size, wall thickness, etc.

Give me your email address and I will send you my sheet unlocked so that you can see what I did.

My email is: pump@shadow.net Richard Neff
Irrigation Craft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back