Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New material - defining physical properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechkate

Mechanical
May 18, 2004
US
I am trying to define a new plastic material and I cannot find any reference in the help file that will tell me the "code" names for the material properties. I see some in the tutorial (SIGYLD for ex.), does anyone know what they are or where to find them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Those codes you're refering come from Cosmos products, which define the variable for each mechanical property. If you want to run cosmosXpress you'll nedd the yield strenght and the elastic modulus.
Issue is, that the default SW materials (for plastics and other materials) are incomplete to run a CosmosXpress analisys. What should you do:

1. Create a new databse. Better to crate a copy from the SW original and rename it.
2. If you want to add a new plastic edit one material, say steel, which has all properties you need and change all values to your plastic including names.
3. If you need those values just go to where you can download for free an exellent applicatin which allows you to update from several other resin producers, the properties you need.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back