Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New Netflix show 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Challenger: The Final Flight
Should be required viewing for engineers and those who manage them.

They're both retired, admitting they made a mistake 35 years ago wouldn't be a disaster. At least Bob Ebeling found some peace before he passed after feeling personally responsible for 30 years.

Having read "Truth, Lies, and O-Rings" twice, at least, it was nice to see the video of some of the panel discussions, such as Feynman's famous ice water demonstration.

I found the show to be very well done, and I appreciated the extra perspective provided, that wasn't in the books (or I forgot about that part of the book)

The biggest takeaway was Lucas' saying he'd make the same decision all over again. I still can't understand that. Does he merely not wish to admit he made a mistake? That he was culpable in the disaster because of that mistake? Obviously, even objectively removing yourself from knowledge of the consequences and saying "Knowing what I knew, only then, would I have made that choice again?" I can't see how he couldn't reconsider.

What a human.

RVAmeche said:
They died because the managers cared more about their careers and making their schedules instead of listening to the SMEs. It's disgusting.
Carve that in stone and drop it on Boeing's corporate offices.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

thebard3 said:
Copy and paste that comment into a discussion of the space shuttle Columbia accident too.

Thing is they very nearly lost the first flight after challenger with debris damage and only got away with it because Discovery had a particularly clean airframe compared to the others.

And again they tried to blame the solid boosters for it. And it was an uphill battle to get everyone to move away from that. Same with the localised low temps around the pre launch setup in low winds.

They almost lost the second shuttle after the Challenger, STS-27 Atlantis carrying a military payload. A piece of nosecone from a solid rocket booster broke-up and damaged over 100 tiles. One tile in a critical area was completely missing. The crew learned of the damage while still in orbit. The only thing that may have saved them was that the damage occurred directly over an antenna, and part of the antenna mount was made of steel and not aluminum.

They almost lost space shuttles many, many times. Most times only post flight analysis gave a full picture of minor glitches in telemetry data. This incident shows how several things combine towards disaster. Disaster would have occurred if two more cooling tubes in a main engine had been damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back