Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Non-API Compressors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekeb08

Chemical
Feb 6, 2012
Could someone educate me on the critical differences between non-API and API (617) compressors.
Application is for syngas compression to 500psig @400F.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API has a guideline for almost every system of a compressor. NO compressor set is 100% compliant, as it is a set of recommended guidelines and not a hardened requirement.

The API sections that are the most followed, are those that set to guide the pressure housing design, rotor dynamic design, and process connection design, and perhaps shaft sealing design.

As the customer you can require that certain parts of the API guidelines be followed, or you can allow exceptions to the API guidelines, as you feel is adequate for your application.

You should get a copy of API 617 and go through it yourself, to see what it really discusses.

If the compressor is going to be compressing a flammable or hazardous gas, API-617 will need to be followed, as well as the applicable electrical codes such as NEC or IEC that deal with hazardous areas.

Thank you Members.
We plan to use this compressor in a flammable gas service. Therefore the entire area around the compressor will be electrically classified.
The problem w/API 617 compressor is the delivery lead time which led us to evaluate a non API option. Needless to say this option is less expensive and saves us around 20 wks.
I presume that if we utilize 617 shaft seals and 617 recommendations for MOC of the shaft ans impellers we should be in relatively good shape.

As for Dlite's comment regarding going through 617. I have a copy, all 290 pages of it. Going through it I realized that it will take a good part of someones career to interpret it and do an intelligent comparison. That is why I asked the question in the first place!

Regards,

some OEM compressor suppliers can provide what I would call an API-617 lite. that is, the really necessary parts of API are included like the special shaft seals and such, but other parts which are not as important are not included. some of those other things can be as simple as not including a drip lip around the oil unit, reducing number of RTD elements in bearings (maybe one in the oil drain rather than in the bearing pad and I could go on. ask for a basic API machine, not a full on machine and you will receive less expensive and possibly quicker delivery. And yes, it takes time to understand the API code fully, but some of us actually do.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back