North Carolina power substations taken out by gunfire 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

FacEngrPE

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2020
US
[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-sheriff-says-intentional-vandalism-substations-caused-power-outages-40k-customers[/URL]]A North Carolina sheriff and power company official said "intentional vandalism" at substations has caused outages for about 40,000 customers expected to last longer than 24 hours

NC county announces curfew as nearly 40,000 customers remain without power after 2 substations damaged by gunfire; Tina Burnside, By Nicole Grether, Gloria Pazmino and Tina Burnside, CNN Updated 6:12 PM EST, Sun December 4, 2022

Current outages link and
Moore County Sheriff's Office Dec 4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It may have been. The Washington incidents may also be the same. Or, the Washington incident could be a copy cat crime after all of the publicity the first event got. I speculate that the fact that there are no suspects is because of the random nature of these crimes.

These clowns don't realise that cutting power can be life threatening...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

North Carolina was far from the first, just the first you heard of.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

For the last few days temps in NC are unusually cold and there is not enough generation so un annouced rolling blackouts for hours. I have had two so far

Byrdj said:
For the last few days temps in NC are unusually cold and there is not enough generation so un annouced rolling blackouts for hours. I have had two so far

We rolled some waiting on solar to ramp up and carry extra burden. Done around 9:30AM.

also some information here:

thread238-501018

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I guess someone doesn't like orange....

Trying to stop coastal erosion of sand cliff though is a very costly exercise though. Perhaps someone didn't like the land owners.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

When we did the military paper planning exercises its quiet astounding how much infrastructure stuff is extremely soft and very vulnerable. And its so spread out.

Those that know about the human behaviour side of things said once its established as a form of civic unrest and the methods are known its extremely hard to stop.

Thanks Tug... I'd not seen sea walls before. They are susceptible to damage... maybe high strength wires in the fabric.

Is the purpose of them to act as a small dam? or to act as a barrier to reduce wave action? or both?

-----*****-----

-Dik

With enough time nothing will work against that but there are some types combinations that at least will not make it easy or quick.
Like really thick steel chain with a nylon or Kevlar sock outside.
You first need to get through the sock and then make two cuts to get through the chain.

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

dik, trust me, the lowlifes already know all of this. Also, don't overlook cordless recip saws, favored tool of the cat converter thiefs. Guess how I know :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Dik I am sorry to say, that those who have a interest in knowing, already does.
Not sure there are any new ideas here. :-(
For a engineering forum it might be a good thing contemplating on what can make a different if someone gets the wrong idea. [ponder]

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

We use angle grinders to cut the 3" diameter 12-strand high performance ropes we use on our tugboats. Synthetic fibers don't do much to slow things down. A 2 inch aluminum chain is the best option I can. Think of. Aluminum clogs the commonly available cutting wheels and 2 inches is thick to plunge through. Aluminum is resistant to salt water environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back