Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 1899 - Broken Wave Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyKL.S

Civil/Environmental
Nov 6, 2018
CZ
Hi All,

I've recently switch from NX9 to 1899 and have encountered one problem. When I want to make new component within assembly based on existing one I'm using "make unique" command. In the new component all the Wave links are broken unfortunatelly.

However in NX9 when I had "Delayed Geometry, Expressions and PMI Updates" at the moment of creating new part and then re-link one of the broken links, the rest of them which refered to the same parent automatically fixed themselves. Now in NX1899 everythink is broken and I have to re-link every single one of them.

It's really frustrating when you expect some improvements in the new version and instead it's getting worse :(

Could anyone please tell me if I'm doing something wrong, maybe some settings to be changed.
P.S. I do not have Wave licence in NX9 nor NX1899.

Best Regards
MyKL
NX 9.0 / Win10

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

sure, I've attached reduced assembly. Please ignore some missing expression links in geometry.prt file as these are not relevant to this issue.

So lets say I want to create a duplicate of part_A in Sub_ass. Firstly I turn on "delay link update". Then I add component (right click on part_A) so now I have two of them in Sub_ass. Next step is from the second part_A do "make unique" and create part_B, which has broken links at the moment of creation.

Make part_B as work part and fix (re-link) f.e. the first face on layer 41. At this moment in NX9 the rest of the links (two datums and CSYS in this case) would fix themselves as well. Not anymore in NX 1899.

Regarding exact version I'm using ...it says Build 1700 and Parasolid version 32.0 (build 152).
In our company we do upgrades once every few years so we are not running tens of different versions/builds for compatibility reasons. Can't really upgrade to 1915 to test or solve the issue.

Thank you for your interest.

Best Regards
MyKL
NX 9.0/1899 - Win10

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5d1100d5-bd58-498b-a808-c75922e1b2c7&file=NX_links.zip
Hi,

No, I did not. I'm not really familiar with the process. Could you give me a quick rundown please.

Thanks

Best Regards
MyKL
NX 9.0/1899 - Win10

Hi,

OK, I've made registration and it seems there is brand new Support center in which I can open new Support case (SC). I suppose it's replacement for IR.

Anyway I can't contact GTAC directly, as it says to me to contact licence provider for our company/Siemens solution partner. Little bit disappointing.

Best Regards
MyKL
NX 9.0/1899 - Win10

Hi,

I know your problem because I also depend on a local distributor and I have to go through him to open calls.

While waiting for you to contact your distributor, I can also open a call from my side. This will be of interest for the resolution of the bug

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

Hi Didier,

that would be great, appreciate your help. Hopefully it'll speed up the process of resolving the issue.

Thanks

Best Regards
MyKL
NX 9.0/1899 - Win10

Hi,

Here is the first answer from the devloppement

I have tested this in several versions and the results are the same in all versions after NX10.

I was surprised this worked the way it did in NX9, I would not expect the editing on one Wave link to change the parent of links of other linked features in the same part.

The newer behaviour would appear to be "as designed" and working correctly. I am going to do some research to see if I can discover exactly how and why this was changed in NX10. I will update you on my findings.

I let you informed

Regards
Didier Psaltopoulos

MyKL.S said:
When I want to make new component within assembly based on existing one I'm using "make unique" command. In the new component all the Wave links are broken unfortunatelly.

If the components are fully loaded, interpart data is loaded (these can be set in the assembly load options), and the links are currently up to date, the wave links in the new part should be preserved when you do a "save-as" or "make unique".

www.nxjournaling.com

PSI-CAD said:
It doesn't work with changing load options: Did you try with the given parts ?

I change my load options to "load fully" and turn on interpart data (immediate levels only) and open the main assembly. I then use "make unique" on part_A to create part_B; all the links in part_B are valid at the time of creation. I'm not sure why the OP is using "delay updates"; if valid links are desired at the time of creation, it seems you do not want to delay updates. Unless I'm missing something?

www.nxjournaling.com

I've tried various load options with the NX 1899 parts and cannot get the links to break. No matter what I do, when I use "make unique" on part_A and create part_B, the links are intact in part_B. I tested on NX 1911 (which is NX 1899 with a patch, not a new major version). I'm not sure what we are doing differently...

I could install the 1915 patch and try again, but I doubt it would make a difference on my end.

www.nxjournaling.com

In some of my experiments, the "up to date" status is unknown; but none of the links are actually broken.

NX1911_links_hjygty.png

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back