Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX 7.5 Drafting Hidden Lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclark

Aerospace
Jul 21, 2011
US
I have an assembly drawing that has 4 parts associated to it. On my front view, I have one part that I want to show a hidden threaded hole. My problem is that when I show hidden lines in front view, it shows ALL the hidden from all the parts; but I only want to see the hidden threads of one of the parts. Is there a way to show hidden lines for one part only?

I know I will eventually run into this problem as well: if I have a part drawing with multiple hole features and I want to show hidden lines for some of the holes but not all of the holes, how would I do that?

If anyone could help with either of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may also wish to look into 'Render Sets' as this will allow you to assign different 'rendering' rules (Visible versus Hidden Lines) for each solid/component in the view.

This has been discussed in E-tips in the past, one such thread being:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hello!
I have big problem and don't know how to slove it(you may call me stupid,but i have no answer on this:) )

i have to mount filter in tank,and it has upper part that is above tank, and part of filter that is in tank.I need to show only visible lines of filter part that is in tank as hidden.

if i put in all lines from that view, ill need 40 hours to delete all lines that i need, and with renders sets i get that lines as visible..

screenshot for better understanding.

I will appreciate any help,
but please im in hurry with this :)

thanks in advance once more,

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b67d86fa-4b66-40e6-9446-6c1d1caf7787&file=1.jpg
You can do this using "View Dependent Edit". It takes a bit of work but it doesn't look like you have all that many lines there that need to be shown so it shouldn't take more than 5 minute or so.

1) Set the hidden lines in the view to be visible and solid. Make them some bright color so you can distinguish them easily from the object lines.

2) View dependent edit => Edit object segments

3) Set line font to dashed => hit apply.

4) Select the line that you want to edit. Make sure that you select the line on the end that you want the edit to occur.

5) You will then be prompted to choose the boundary objects that define the segment of that line that will be changed. You would select the endpoint of the line on the inside the of the tank and then the object line that represents the top edge of the tank. A small asterisk will appear at the intersection of the top of the tank and the filter.

6) Hit "apply" and you should see the line font for that segment change to dashed. Repeat this for all necessary lines.

5) When you are done, exit out of the "View Dependent Edit" tool and reset the view style to hidden lines "invisible".

6) The line segments that you manually edited will remain visible and dashed. All the unedited hidden lines will disappear.

That should do it. If you make any changes to the model that cause the view to go out-of-date these edits might be lost when the view is updated.

Hope that helps. I'm writing this from memory without NX open in front of me so I apologize for any errors in the specifics. I'm sure you get the idea. It works exactly as Toost describes in the thread that Cowski linked to earlier only you're editing a segment of a line instead of the entire line.

I'm using view dependent edit to remove the unwanted hidden lines, but when I update my drawing, they come back. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to use another method for removing unwanted hidden lines?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, if your view goes out of date and gets regenerated you will often (always?) loose your view-dependent edits. You either need to wait until your done editing your model to put in your view-dependent edits or don't update those views when they go out-of-date. I look at this method as a final formatting tool to be used on drawings just before release to get them looking nice for the end users. I never do view-dependent edits until my model is set in stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back