Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX10 next release? When? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looking at the NX 10 screenshots there is no difference with the NX 9 interface.
I was under the impression that extra icon sizes would be available. To fit better in the ribbon and address the issue of medium size icons and wasted space, versus, tiny icons.
I hope I am wrong, otherwise it will be a disappointment. Specially for those using small screens in laptops.
The ideal arrangement would be as the classic interface, being able to fit in the ribbon columns of 3 icons with 24 x 24 pixels each.

Without saying too much about NX10 ( which i am not allowed to )
The NX10 Beta has options for small screens. You can select "slim ribbon".
But better, get yourself a large screen laptop next time :)

Regards,
Tomas

Millimeter said:
Looking at the NX 10 screenshots there is no difference with the NX 9 interface.
I was under the impression that extra icon sizes would be available. To fit better in the ribbon and address the issue of medium size icons and wasted space, versus, tiny icons.
I hope I am wrong, otherwise it will be a disappointment. Specially for those using small screens in laptops.

Based on John's NX 10 demo in Rochester yesterday, you probably wont be disappointed. There are now 4 icon sizes (small, medium, large, extra large). I believe he said the rule is 3 small, 2 medium, 1 large or extra large icons stacked vertically. There is also the option to have large w/o text (but you cannot stack two large icons this way). Additionally, there are tablet and touchscreen layouts available. Maybe John can post screenshots now?

There are also new "theme" options that basically lighten up the ribbon UI. There were lots of improvements to the sorting and such of the "customize" ribbon dialog as well. And some other improvements to the palettes.

Also featured were some really awesome surfacing features (can't remember what those were called), a reworked section view tool (you can draw sections lines like a sketch and then choose to insert the section view), and auto gapping on dimension extensions (yay!). Oh, and they changed the default mouse zoom settings as well. Mouse wheel in = zoom in, mouse wheel out = zoom out.

As I can see it, the only difference with NX 9 is a new extra large size icon without text.

I use both, a small laptop and most of the time a huge 30" monitor.
The tiny size icons lack awareness in both screens, and using them with text defeat the iconography purpose.
The medium size is the ideal, mimics the classic interface size, allows to achieve bigger density and keeps a reasonable awareness of its meaning. However, it is only possible to stack two of them instead of three.

The basic idea is to get the maximum quantity of icons in the ribbon to reduce switching tabs and to obtain a performance similar to the classical interface.
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot the ribbon idea, but this current implementation waste too much space.

Out-of-the-box, the NX 10.0 Ribbon uses a combination of Large and Small icons with text, just like NX 9.0 did. However, unlike NX 9.0, you now have the OPTION to also use Medium and Extra-Large icons, and except for the Extra-Large icon, which only comes without text, the other three sizes, Small, Medium and Large can be shown either with or without text. Note that the introduction of the Extra-Large icons is in anticipation of the use of 4K displays. Also there's an option to simply increase the size of the entire Ribbon by 50% which is probably the way most people who move to 4K displays will handle this rather than edit individual icons, but you have the option to take whatever approach that you prefer.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

'Offcially', the 'Swept Solid' feature has been put on hold.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Is "Sketch In Task" going to go away at some point?

I ask, because I use it way more than Direct Sketch, but I can modify my habits, now, if it will help me in the future.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

I certainly hope not, as I use it almost exclusively myself.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I noticed in one of the PDFs that 10 was going to support (even more so then 9) touch UIs. Thats really great to be able to use NX in not only a Desktop situation but also a mobile/touch/pen interface. This is perfect! (and awesome). A few more options RE: the Ribbon UI to get it to "at least i'll put up with it" level. And that's a positive at least :). I briefly was able to give NX9 a quick test drive on a 12" touch WinTab (just basic zoom controls) and fell in love with how these controls were so fluid/compatible and just seamlessly worked and fast. I could switch been rotating view to panning to zooming all instantly with no frustrating pauses or weird behavior. These kinds of things really make a difference and other software developers need to wake up and achieve this level in all facets of a UI and not just one (even though my point here is that with CAD, view control is a massive part of every day use and having it work "how it should" does lots for ones sanity). :)

With respect to the idea of using NX on touch-enabled devices, with NX 10.0 we're providing some predefined (which can be edited and updated) 'roles' specific to that environment. In addition to the default (non-touch) role, we are providing one optimized for a normal PC's touch display and one for a hand-held tablet.

BTW, we've also added some additional enhancements to improve the user experience when running NX on dual monitors, such as allowing the user to move the complete Ribbon and/or the Resource Bar to the second monitor. In the case of the Resource Bar, this means that the 'navigator' panels will now expand out onto the second monitor WITHOUT the need of having to individually 'undock' them first.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

John, I have a somewhat provocative question. Do you plan in the future to allow straightforward editing of component bodies at the assembly level (machining after assembly), without need to promote or WAVE-link them first? Or is it too difficult to implement?

Industry creates wealth!

John, 2 questions
1) are we, the beta testers, now allowed to speak about the software we ( still ) have ?
I do understand fully that things/ features/content still can change before NX10 goes live.

2) You say above that:
"Out-of-the-box, the NX 10.0 Ribbon uses a combination of Large and Small icons with text, just like NX 9.0 did. However, unlike NX 9.0, you now have the OPTION to also use Medium and Extra-Large icons, and except for the Extra-Large icon, which only comes without text, the other three sizes, Small, Medium and Large can be shown either with or without text. Note that the introduction of the Extra-Large icons is in anticipation of the use of 4K displays. Also there's an option to simply increase the size of the entire Ribbon by 50% which is probably the way most people who move to 4K displays will handle this rather than edit individual icons, but you have the option to take whatever approach that you prefer."

- If i look into the File - Preferences - User interface -Layout - Ribbon bar options, there is a "Slim ribbon style" which probably is what Millimeter asks about above.
There are settings under "Customize" - user interface for this "Slim ribbon" - Icons "extra small, 16x16" etc
Comments ?

Regards,
Tomas

Toost, while I don't know what beta phase of NX 10.0 that you've got installed, we are currently within one phase of final code freeze (that's the version that I'm demoing this week and next at the RUGS) so final content is set, period. As for your question about what you can say, I suspect that as long as it's limited to comments about the current beta phase (not what was being used while you were actually in-house performing the testing) and you're not disclosing any of the documentation and other feedback provided as part of the formal beta activity, I think you're safe.

As to your question about the 'slim ribbon', if that is what Millimetetr was talking about, then that's NOT the out-of-the-box way that NX 9.0 (or for that matter, NX 10.0) starts up. The 'Slim Ribbon' is an optional ribbon scheme that's being added with NX 10.0 which does provide a somewhat similar layout to a single conventional 'toolbar', but it's actually there to support somemthing like the touch-screen layout for handheld devices, where a single row of icons is more appropriate then the default mix of different sized icons, with the smaller ones being stacked. The fact that the default 'Slim Ribbon' shows small icons is just a starting point and is not necessarily how we think it will actually be used.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

PrintScaffold, while that's an interesting question, about the use of Promotions and WAVE for manufacturing operations, I think it's something that really deserves it's own thread since it's not spectific to what this thread has been concentrating on. Therefore please feel free to start a new thread and layout your question(s) and issue there and we'll try to respond as we get the time as well as hopefully others users who might want to chip in as well.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back