Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nx11, Is there a way to turn of the associativity while modeling? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisbruce

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2013
US
While performing many modeling moves, such as copying a block using point to point move, or performing a split block, the result is an association between the two objects. So If I move either of the blocks the other comes along for the ride. The work around has been to remove the parameters from the blocks after creation. It is very annoying that they wouldn't provide a way to turn this automatic association off. Pretty short sighted if you ask me.
I had asked Siemens if they could at least give the option of turning of the automatic association for future releases. I just installed Nx11 (per GM dictate) and the association is still there and I can't find where I can turn it off.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@jerry1423... No, I'll describe again. When you create a block, 100mm cubed, and then move it, using point to point, to the point of an existing block, the new block is now associated to the existing block where you chose the destination point. So if you move the existing block now, the new block moves with it. This may seam like a great idea, and in some cases I can say it would be desirable, however, you cannot turn this association off. This really becomes problematic when you begin to move faces, or add chamfers/edge blends. Sometimes, you don't find out until much later in the design. I want to turn this automatic association off.

@cowski, It does't matter if the "move parents" or "Associative" box is selected or not. The association is established when the block was created. So, I went to the "settings" tab and there it was, I can turn the association off. And it does remember the choice. So this is a good start. However, when I perform a "split body" the association is still present. I looked for settings in preferences and couldn't find anything. Thanks for your quick reply... it does help.

I don't see the behavior you're experiencing at all and I just tested it out. Maybe it was a setting you had turned on - not sure which of the thousands of "settings" you changed, as there are many "settings" in different locations - maybe elaborate a bit with the title a the top of the settings dialog you found?

Move parents is necessary and automatically done (a message pops up telling you this will be done UNLESS the message has been permanently disabled) whether the user selects it or not on the Move dialog.

In the past use of Primitives were cautioned for the issues they caused downstream, to the point that they were being considered for complete removal from the software. Yes, they are fast and convenient but very often can be the wrong tools for the job.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

multicaduser,

I don't think so, or else he wouldn't be concerned with what's going on downstream.

In regards to history free, I don't even have those toggles in NX11. I did in NX9. Not sure if those were removed, moved or if it's something that's been disabled to my company's install/customization.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

History free is removed in NX11.
It only exists in history free files from earlier versions.

I too have been wondering over the absence of an "associative" button in the Split body function. -Sometimes it's so much faster working without non parametric... ( "Modeling with an axe and a shovel")
Layer Copy creates "dead" copies.

Regards,
Tomas

Regards
Tomas

@Xwheelguy, @multicaduser
History free mode has been removed as of NX 11.

@dennisbruce
Many commands have an "associative" option in the settings section of the dialog. If you create a block with an associative origin it will move with the parent until you change or remove the association. The split body command is a bit of an odd case, it has done a complete 180°. It used to remove all the parameters from your model, resulting in 2 dumb bodies. Around NX 6, they made the command associative and now it has no option to turn off the associativity. If you need to split a body and move the halves around independently, consider using an assembly structure. You could create a reference set for each half, add them to an assembly and move them where needed.

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks everyone for your input. I am able to remove much of the association via the settings button as you suggested. As for why Xwheelguy wasn't able to reproduce the behavior leads me to believe that the association buttons have been unchecked, as they are remembered, probably via the "save layout at exit"?
Anyway, we have been using UG since Nx16. We don't require the use of parameter based modeling. We design and build tools for GM general assembly and body shop. Using split block has always been a quicker method.
Anyway, thanks again everyone, I appreciate your quick responses, it saved me a lot of time, and now moving forward we can reduce the impact that unwanted association has inflicted on our productivity. ;)

Thanks for the clarification dennisbruce - I wasn't sure if you were looking somewhere other than the Move dialog (like Modeling Settings or Customer Defaults) - some users will resort to language that isn't specific so I just wanted to be sure that I was understanding you correctly.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

We also work without parameters and the split bodies can be annoying. I have learned to just keep a "remove parameters" button available so after doing a split body, I just hit it with that and keep going. I would be nice if NX would place a check box for association in the Split Bodies so we can choose to have it or not have it. Doesnt make sense why they would do a complete 180 and force the new option rather than offer the choice.

Kenja824,

They do that from time to time - always has been an annoyance.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

@Toost

Was there a reason for removing history free modeling? I've used it in the past when there were direct modeling techniques only available in history free.

NX 11.0.1.11 Windows 10

I think Siemens opinion is that equivalent functionality exists in history mode and it's therefore no longer needed. ( the testing/ support etc can be omitted)

Regards,
Tomas

I use the copy to layer method quite a bit to produce dumb geometry. Also, I prefer the old Transform to the Move command because I can keep things on their original layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back