Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6 Transform... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamccrac

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2004
US
when launching the Transform function, it seems that Scale is the default type. How can i change it to display all transformation types at launch i.e. translate, rotate about a point, rotate about a line, etc...?
I am finding that i must select through the scale options until the option allows me to change the transformation type when all i want is Translate function.

confusing, isn't it...

PMc
CNC Programmer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks for the suggestion, does that offer Rotate about a Point, Rotate about a Line, or Repostion?
I will take a look at Move Object, but I really miss the Translation function dialog from NX3...

PMc
CNC Programmer

May I suggest then that you open the Move Object dialog and press the F1 key as this will open a help page which will show you the various 'transform' options which are supported.

As for the OLD, OUTDATED, NON-ASSOCIATIVE, NX 3 style Transform, it is just that, OLD OUTDATED and NON-ASSOCIATIVE, and for the most part has been replaced by Move Object and a few other more modern functions, some of which have been part of NX for some time now.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Jump in to the new dialog and make yourself at home. You may dislike it at first but you will quickly realize that RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. Seriously though, take a good look at the 'dynamic' option as it is very versatile.

I'm a bit puzzled by the associative 'move' option, though (an associative 'copy' is understandable, but 'move'?). So, to the users of associative 'moves': what good use have you put this to? does it make it easier to model? easier to maintain your model? does it make your model more robust? In what situation is it necessary or desirable? What problem has it solved for you? In short, why is it a good thing?

OK, for example, if you 'moved' an object by rotating about an axis and you made it 'Associative', the angle entered for the move would be stored as an Expression meaning that you could now control the rotation of that object by editing that expression. Or if you specified a Distance along an axis, that value would also be saved as an expression. And when we release NX 7.0 later this year, if you use the Delta Offset method then the values fro X,Y,Z offset will also be stored as expressions.

The point I'm making is that if your designs would benefit from being able to explicitly MOVE models, or parts of models (not components in an Assembly, but parts of an actual design model), this may be the tool you'll want to consider using.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

One interesting use of Associative Move features is to control the location of a dumb solid in a design master.

Let's say that you have a standard, commercial-off-the-shelf item (like a motor, for example), which defines the location of several other items in an assembly. You could obtain a solid model of the motor from the manufacturer, import or un-associative WAVE link the body into your design master part, and then use Associative Move features to place the motor with respect to datums etc in your design master part. Then you could use features on the dumb solid (such as mounting hole locations, shaft axes, etc) to control and define other datums etc in your design master, and in derived parts and assemblies down the road.

This might be an unorthodox approach to design masters and WAVE modeling, but it can be pretty useful sometimes.

this is all good stuff. however, please consider the CAM user that just wants some "quick" NC geometry. The old style was very useful and in a competitive market, speed is everything. that's where change seems to affect me, it's slow at the beginning. the "enhancements" are great but usually need some time to get the "burned in" methods out and the new brain washed in. With that thought and reverting back to the Transformation Types question, why is Scale the default and is it changeable in code? I would really like and expect it to default to transform, but that's just me.

PMc
CNC Programmer

What would you like it to default to? No doubt you have noticed that transform and rotate are no longer on that menu (there is probably some obscure method to turn them back on, but I wouldn't recommend it). If you want quick and dirty translations and rotations, I recommend you start using the 'dynamic' option of the 'move object' command.

Transform NO LONGER exists on the old Transform menu. It has been REPLACED with Move Object. There isn't any defaults controlling this and you can't make it appear by changing a default setting. The only things available on the Transform dialog are those buttons that appear when you select the Transform command. The rest have been moved to the newer Move Object command.

While I do sympathize with you in regards to getting used to something new, I don't think you're going to get very far with your preference for the old Transform command instead of Move Object. Please do not think of my response here as being critical, because that's not my intent. Basically, Siemens changed the Transform dialog at the users' request and now we have Move Object in its place. Siemens usually doesn't backtrack to old methods unless the new methods are really poor and not really helpful as a whole.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

I have found that if i keep hitting enter i finally get to the "old nx3" dialog. it's just a pain to get to. that's why i'd like it to default to "translate" (i mistyped in previous post and put transform... duh)

PMc
CNC Programmer

try it and see if you can get to the old dialog as well. I stumbled across it and that's what i've been using for the past week now.

I'm still getting familiar with the enhancements of NX6 but my work load is backing up tremendously... I do appreciate the help from forums like these and this, to me, is the best forum for NX. :)

PMc
CNC Programmer

OK, I finally found what you happened to discover, I assume by accident. Whatever the case, this was never intended to work that way and is an artifact leftover from something which we would have liked to obsolete altogether. But as such, it will NOT be 'fixed'. Technically I was seriously considering opening a PR asking that this 'back-door' to the obsolete behavior be removed, but since we have more important fish to fry, I'm going to leave this alone and so you can continue to use it in whatever manner if wish, but I don't think it's in anyones interest to waste resources on this sort of fix, which while it may not be what we intended, it's doing no harm and so lets just leave it alone, period!

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To all about this whole Translate vs Move. In my world Contol-t is simple. Control+shift+m is ridiculous. That is what I miss the most about the old translate. I too am an NC programmer.

--
Bill

ah! see, if you just hit enter enough, you'll get what you want... lol.
well thanks for your reconsideration of not removing this, i would definately be scratching my head then. and maybe this will be of some help to another poor soul like myself who struggles with change :).

PMc
CNC Programmer

"Under Customize... Keyboard... it takes about two minutes to change 'Ctrl+t' so that it brings up 'Move Object', instead of 'Transform'."

John, forgot to thank you for that. Works like a charm! Took me about 10 mins because I'd not changed keyboard shortcuts in several years. Btw, I think it should be under Preferences but... that's an Oprah for another day.<g>

--
Bill

Under the old transformations there is translate delta. Using this function you could incrementally move an object the amount that was keyed in by hitting the move button again and again. With the new move object and using Delta XYZ, I haven’t been able to find how to replicate this. As far as I can tell, after you move the object you have to select it again to continue moving it incrementally. Can anyone help with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back