Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX6 Transform... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamccrac

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2004
US
when launching the Transform function, it seems that Scale is the default type. How can i change it to display all transformation types at launch i.e. translate, rotate about a point, rotate about a line, etc...?
I am finding that i must select through the scale options until the option allows me to change the transformation type when all i want is Translate function.

confusing, isn't it...

PMc
CNC Programmer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

design0058

Using the keyboard hit (Ctrl t), pick your object,on the menu hit OK,pick mirror through line or plane, pick your choice in the model,next menu that comes up is the old transform menu and you are good to go, it is fast and as you know you just hit return and move as you always did in the past, not all of us care about about associativity, we care about speed and get the tool built, there are certainly some nice features in NX6 when it works without internal errors which as we were told would be fixed in NX7.

Hans

That behavior, being able to apply some sort of incrementally 'additive' operations by hitting 'Apply' multiple times is generally not supported as part of the new style User Interface, however, for on screen GWIF's (the little text entry fields which pop-up on the screen) you can do something which is very close.

Now for Move Object, select your body, then using the Motion type 'Dynamic' you will see the 3 directional/3 rotational handles come up. Select the desired one and enter your incremental value and press the 'Enter' key on your keyboard. Now if you continue to press 'Enter' it will continue to incrementally move the body. You can also immediately, without having to go back the dialog, select one of the other 5 handles, enter an incremental value and repeat this process of pressing the 'Enter' key until you have the final desired location/orientation. Granted, this only allows you to enter one value at a time, but it does provide the ability to use this for both Translations and Rotations, whereas Delta is Translate only.

Anyway, give that a try and see if that will meet your needs.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John, I'll give it a try. Hey Hans, I agree with you 100% "not all of us care about about associativity, we care about speed and get the tool built". I get frustrated with new releases. Take away a few button pushes here and add a few mouse click there. The new features are nice and needed in today’s world but why does it have to take longer to get to the destination if you know what I mean. I've been using UG since version 4 or 6 and I still think I could design simple components faster in UG version 9 than NX version 6. Bring back the button pushes!!!! Does anybody remember when you could hit numbers 1, 2, 3 and ? (I don’t remember the last number because it has been so long) and get a horizontal line? Try and do it that fast now.

The last number was 14.

And this what a Unigraphics 'workstation' looked like back when I stared using UG:

4014_newer.jpg

And if you would like to get the full story about the PFK (AKA 'the original UG user interface'), go to:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Speaking of 'User Interfaces', I have a query;

When you are working with Drafting Symbols, the ones (usually a circle with an inscribed letter/number) which are linked to the items in a Parts List or some referenced note, when you refer to them, do you think them as an 'ID Symbol' or 'Identification Symbol'? In other words, do we need to spell out the word 'Identification' or not? This would be both in terms of what you would see in the user documentation as well the User Interface, such as in Dialogs, Icon names and in Tool Tips.

Now I would like to hear from users who are also using NX with non-English dialogs as well as people whose first language may not be English yet are using NX with English dialogs, what are your views on this same topic? Is spelling out the word 'Identification' better than using the abbreviation
'ID'?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

John,

as a Dutch speaking NX user i don't think spelling out the ID abbreviation would be usefull. People are so familiar with the english language nowdays(school, tv, movies, music). It would be like spelling out CAD/CAM all the time, the abbreviations are common good if you work in this sector, plus it speeds up reading/speaking. So the same for the abbreviation ID.

Hope it helped a little.

Best regards,

Michäël.

NX4.0.4.2 MP10 / TCE 9.1.3.8_build_0711 / NX6.0.2.8

Belgium

Hi John,

"ID" symbol is perfect, the menu icon shows exactly it's intended use for a BOM or you can use it to ID anything else.

Design0058,

I go back to V-7, that old PFK was very fast, especially after one memorized the pattern, type in your commands fast enough and you could sit back and watch your model being manipulated,
time is everything in our business today, a project that had a lead time of 12 weeks twenty years ago is now expected in four and must pass FAI in most cases.

Hans

We referred to those memorized PFK sequences as 'Muscle Macros'. Of course, things could get really exciting when we moved commands around from one release to the next. I can recall when we almost switched Delete and Blank until someone pointed out that right up to and including when stuff actually started to disappear off the screen, that the menu prompts in the Message Monitor that the user would see and be responding to were almost identical for BOTH Blank AND Delete, and that it was not until he tried to Unblank something that he would have noticed that he had deleted something instead, and remember, this was before we had Undo ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

John,
Ok, I realize those old button pushes are never going to come back but there is one thing that maybe you could help me with. Is there anyway to assign the F9 through F12 keys to OK, Apply, Back and Cancel as they once used to be? I've tried to use the Customize Keyboard but I can't find them there.

Oh, this is going to be so easy.

Out-of-the-box, the F9, F10, F11 and F12 keys are currently unassigned so all you have to do is go into the Customize dialog, select the 'Keyboard' option, scroll about 20% down the 'Categories:' list and select the item titled 'View Popup' (the top item, not one of secondary ones) and now over in the 'Commands' column you'll find those elusive OK, Apply, Back, Cancel options. Now all you have to do, to program the F9 key for example, is to select the 'OK' item in the Commands Column, change the focus to the 'Press new shortcut key' entry and press F9 and then press the 'Assign' button below it. Now repeat for Apply, Back and Cancel. Then Close the Keyboard and the Customize dialogs, and so that they don't get lost, save your Role and you should be good to go.

I said it was going to be easy ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

I am going to drop a bomb on this thread.

turn on / some of the legacy transformation options are not available in NX6.

UGII_ENABLE_TRANSFORM_LEGACY_OPTIONS = 1

Right click My computer - properties - advance - Envirorment variables - New -
Variable UGII_ENABLE_TRANSFORM_LEGACY_OPTIONS
Value 1

Works great.

Don't rely on it, like John said the new fuctions in Move are better, just take some getting use to.

And some day we may just decide to disable some of these 'turn on a legacy function' environment variables just to a) see who's still using them and b) as a sort of 'warning shot' across the bow ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Thanks cyberpete. Even though my collegues and I were getting more comfortable with the Move Object function, this makes for a nice transition. Many Thanks! :)

John, your point made is understood as well. Thanks to all!

PMc
CNC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back