Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX7 3+2 axis toolpath

Status
Not open for further replies.

lscam

Mechanical
Apr 4, 2010
SI
Hello all!!!

I would like to generate a toolpath for a 5 axis milling machine with two axis swivel head (B and C axis). I would like a toolpath with B and C axis rotated and locked and the stopovers applied in Z-axis direction. The thing is that if I use the Z level profile and rotate the B and C axis the stepover is applied in direction of tool axis which generates the movement of all three linear axis. I want to have a movement of only the X and Y axis and the movement of the Z only between the cut levels.

I hope someone knows what I mean and can give me a push in right direction!

Thanks,
Luka from Slovenia

Hi Iscam,

Is a mill turn machine with two spindles and a milling head??

Like a Mori Seiki??

I don't see clear that...

I would simulate 4 and 5 axis with all the cinematics of the machine and of course the postprocessador.

See you.

You can use Solid profile 3D, rest milling,contoru surface area...

I am little "blind"... because I don't know so much what you mean and I don't know the machine...

I would help you if I can...

See you, from Spain.

Hi berri,

the machine is conventional gantry milling center with 5 axis. The B and C axis are rotating and attached on a Z column. Like this one in the video:

So I want to generate a ZIG-ZAG toolpath with B and C rotated and locked (they don't move during the operation) and stepover applied in the direction of the Z axis.

I'm sorry but I don't know how to explain more clearly.
I will try to post som pictures for more understanding!

Regards, Luka

Hi again,

You can test this, go to mill multiaxis_variable contour
there you can choose, the tools axis quide method, proyection vector etc. Inside guide method you can choose the zig-zag or another method. You have to test the methods..., to bloc the C nad B axis and work with Z axis.

If you have a complex surface the best way is a variable streamline. Is my opinion...

Note that for 5 axis milling, you need so good postprocessador.

I don't know want geometry you have to mill but you can choose some nice strategies on mill_contour, like Streamline, contour area etc.

Is little complex for me imagine the machine and the workpiece geometry...

I hope you see another ways, with my explanatios.

Thanks.

Hi berri

Thank you for your help!!! You are very kind!
I will try out your suggestion and see if I make some progress.

Hope to hear from you more!

See you!

Hello Mark,

Can you explain please, the steps in ZLEVEL with 5 axis?

for mill a surface.

I have never tested that on NX.

For me is interesting to know more strategies on NX.

Thanks.

Hello Mark,

I tried your suggestion to use Z level 5 axis. I used tilt away from the line option (as it can be seen on picture) and if the line is long enough I get the result that I'm looking for. That is that the B and C axis don't rotate during the cutting. I tried some other options and the results wasn't what I wanted.

I have to try this operation on more realistic parts and I will let you know how it went.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fc13d434-3019-4617-bdbd-a35daedf3015&file=Z-level-5-axis.jpg
Hi Iscam,

It looks pretty good, I haven't tested this 5 axis strategies.

I hope it works well.

Why do you want to use a 5-axis operation for 3-axis cutting? The picture you provided could be done with a planar mill operation. Just pick your tool axis and that will position your B and C axis.

Hi John,

if you can please provide an example of that.

Thanks,
Luka

Hi John,

I don't know with which planer mill subtype operation can I achieve the same effect.Anyway my picture is an example only and here I used planar surfaces but usually I have surfaces that are not planar. And then I can't use planer mill! Am I right?

Regards, Luka

lscam - Your picture looks good.

zlevel 5 axis is basically a zlevel path with a ball end mill, then the tool axis tilted by rotating about the center of the ball. By using away from line as the direction, you will get a fixed axis. If you want planar cuts, this is great.

You could also use fixed axis surface contouring, and just set the tool axis to where you want it. With a drive method like streamline, you should have plenty of control to get the path you want.

Remember that some drive methods require the projection vector to be along the tool axis, but not all.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Hello Mark

Yes I think that with z level 5 axis and tilt away from the line I did get what I wanted. It is important for me to have planer cuts in order to use only X and Y axis during the cut.

I will try out your other suggestion using the fixed axis surface conturing and with streamline. I did find out that Z level 5 axis can't do undercuts and maybe this one will?

Thanks for helping!

Regards,
Luka

If you specify the tool axis in a fixed_contour, you got the needed result.

----
kukelyk

It looks like Mark is the only one that knows what I need. I want planer cut that are parallel to X-Y plane but WITH ROTATED tool axis.

Regards,
Luka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back