Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NX7.5, constant crashes causing loss of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

morans

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2009
US
So I'm not sure anyone here could really do much to help, but figured that maybe someone has been through this and figured out any conflicts that causes NX to panic and crash to desktop.

I just got a new machine for work around 6 months ago and at first, everything was fine. Then about a month or two ago, I came into work and would literally have NX7.5 crash on me about once an hour... sometimes more, sometimes less. No errors, warning or anything... just closes and loss of work (which is really starting to frustrate me). Sadly, our IT department knows next to nothing about NX so when issues like this pop up, they're semi-useless unless when know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Anyway, it's a Dell Precision T3500. Intel Xeon W3550, 24GB ram, ATi Firepro V7900, Windows 7 64 bit. With exception to the amount of RAM and a slightly stronger GPU, the machine is pretty much identical to my old one (and everyother workstation in our office) and no issues with any of those.

I had our IT staff update everything (UG, GPU drivers, Java, Flash, etc) on my machine, figuring that it was a bug or something in NX or software interacting with it, but the problem still keeps popping up. I was starting to think it was a hardware problem (bad ram) but NX is the ONLY software thats having problems. Everything else runs perfect.

I looked through Windows Event Viewer to try to see what's happeneing behind the scenes, so to speak, but it's not logging the crashes at all.

Does anyone have advice to try troubleshooting this problem? Can or Does NX have the ability to keep a log so I can see why the random crashes are happening? I'm starting to think it might be some sort of software BUG or conflict in our outside of NX that's causing it.

thanks in advance.
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My advice is to contact GTAC and have them look at your configuration and the logfiles from the crashed sessions.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

thanks for the Advice John. As luck would have it, I decided to do a little investigating in the BIOS this morning and decided to turn off hyperthreading as I've had problems with it in other software. I haven't had a single crash since.

We'll see how it does over the next few days, but it seems like I've found the issue. Hope this can help someone else in the future.

We have always recommended that you disable hyperthreading, particularly if you're running NX on a multi-core machine with the SMP (Statistical Multi-Processing) environment variable toggled ON.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

If you still encounter problems, make sure you run the Siemens-recommended driver for your graphics card, which can be found on their website

NX 7.5.5.4 with Teamcenter 8 on win7 64
Intel Xeon @3.2GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back