Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NYC Parking Garage Collapse 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

dold

Structural
Aug 19, 2015
US
[URL unfurl="true"]https://abc7ny.com/parking-garage-collapse-financial-district-lower-manhattan-ann-street/13150286/[/url]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://nypost.com/2023/04/18/parking-garage-collapses-in-nycs-financial-district-video/[/url]

Ring camera video from inside. Not much to see though.

Looks like it was a rather old masonry and reinf concrete structure. News report stated it is over 100 years old.

Here's a link to NYC Buildings department records for the property: Link

Apparently it's a full service parking garage - attendants do the parking for you. Looks like there's some sort of car elevator to take cars to the upper levels. The "roof" level looks rather packed with cars:

Snipaste_2023-04-18_15-35-42_domv6c.png

Snipaste_2023-04-18_15-35-31_kc0yun.png

Reverse Bias said:
Appears to be a pretty old structure. I'm wondering when it was built.

News report said "over 100 years old". I didn't catch the exact date but it was early 1900's. Apparently this structure had multiple "safety violations" relating to the structure itself, which were still "unresolved". News report was fairly vague on the violations but they mentioned structural deficiencies. Classic...

Here are some pics showing the floor structure:

Snipaste_2023-04-18_16-20-50_leekua.png

Snipaste_2023-04-18_16-20-36_alayb7.png

It looks a lot like verticals (walls and posts) were brick and horizontals (floors and beams) were concrete.

spsalso

How many new parking garages do you think they could have built for the cost of the giant ugly thing on 111 West 57th Street?

Tired old bldg.
Shiney new cars.

Like a cube van filled with helium is not the same as one filled with lead, this parkade looks over subscribed.

Will I receive a refund on my $85.00 daily parking fee if I return my ticket ???

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Reverser Bias said:
This is the first time I've seen them using Boston Dynamics dog robots in the field.

I had a chuckle when the news report stated "And here we have footage, courtesy of FDNY, showing their new robot dog going into the building to look for survivors". Immediately it showed the dog trying to walk onto that sloped chunk of slab and it toppled over. Granted, it did to a good job of righting itself. Funny nonetheless.

Somehow I doubt that the 40psf design live load accounts for cars shoulder-to-shoulder and packed into the aisles.

JLNJ said:
Somehow I doubt that the 40psf design live load accounts for cars shoulder-to-shoulder and packed into the aisles.

I was thinking the same. But I also came across these certificates of occupancy which states the floors are rated for 120 psf live load. Maybe they were banking on this for any re-certifications they have received over the years? As opposed to a proper analysis?

Snipaste_2023-04-19_09-02-35_snpxyb.png
Snipaste_2023-04-19_09-01-32_a2x74t.png

Interesting that there would be "stacked" cars as shown in one of the pictures. Might be ok in the cellar.

Interesting that in all of these ancient documents that they must distingush between the live loading loadings imposed by "males" and "females:

As I read the 1957 document, only the loadings imposed by males are permitted ...

Can someone explain ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

This was differentiation was common for office structures as women were generally lighter weight than men.
I have seen this a number of old documents (1940's-50's).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

i designed my workshop for 5 kN/m2 and that can take a tractor and a car up the other end... good luck with all that lot...

Since it is in New York City, then it follows that the structure was originally built with organized crime approval (the mob) and all inspections and repairs over the century were done with mob oversight and approval (and under the table payments as necessary). Since I am not a lawyer, I am curious if the mob has standing in the jurisdiction to be sued by the city for damages? Or perhaps the mob will counter-sue the city for loss of revenue? LOL Of course the judges will have been appointed by the mob too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back