Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

GladwinJay

Industrial
Jun 29, 2004
US
What preference or setting determines the color of imported objects? When I import parts into an assembly they alway come in a pale tan color regardless of what color they are modeled in. My titles blocks also change in color as well from white to a cyan or the same pale tan color.

Thanks
J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like that is the non-work-part color.
Once you change to work part,it will ahow its original color.
You can change the non work part color to your choice
(Preference>assemblies)

Hope this helps..

This is controlled by the XXXXnullnxXX_in.prt or XXXXnullnxXX_mm.prt files you see in the translator directories. They are found in [NX Install directory}\DXFDWG\ and [NX Install directory}\IGES\. Just open the applicable parts, set the settings you want, then save the .prt files.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Parts saved before UGS changed the color map (NX3?) will come in the "wrong" color, since the color map in the newer assembly file is different.

Per John Baker, on the UGS newsgroup:
"What the problem is, is that your assembly file is using a new (NX 3
defaulted) CDF file, while your part files are still based on the old pre-NX
3 colors. You have two choices, either change your assembly file so that it
uses the old CDF (we still supply it with NX 4, just that it's no longer the
standard) or you have to replace the old CDF with a new one as well as edit
the colors of the objects (Solids, Surfaces and Curves) in your component
part files.

You can change the CDF files under Preferences/Visualization... under the
'Color Palette' tab. As for editing the colors of the objects in your
existing parts, you can use the GRIP program that I've created for this
purpose (I've attached a zip file that contains both the source code and a
Windows executable version of the program)."

-Dave
Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Designer22-The non-work part color didn't do it I have the color set so non work part is grey which is what I like. The issue occurs when my assembly is the work part and I add a component..it comes in a goofy color.

NKWheelguy-I don't have write access to those files, I couldn't save my edits.

Gunman- I thought the color pallette was different in 4, that answers alot. So I guess I will just open my title blocks and change the colors to something in the new palette and save them. And just live with the funky part colors when imported.

Thanks Again,
Jason

Jason,

If your computer admin will give you the correct read/write permissions to the NX install directory, then you won't have this issue when trying to save those files. I'd strongly suggest trying to get read/write permissions for every version of NX that you install...will save a lot of time and headaches when setting up NX to run like you want it to run.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Unless he's like our company and they have the "Program Files" folder and it contents write protected.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.0 on WinXP SP2

That's why I suggested he contact his computer admin in the first place. They can set the permissions for just the NX directory to be read/write or whatever they wish. It doesn't have to be an all or none situation.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

In our case it does.....the IT police have it all locked down and they give no one the key. Got to protect us from ourselves ya know.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.0 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back