Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Offered a job, but should I accept it? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbineGen

Electrical
Mar 1, 2007
US
So I was laid off in April due to the economy and have been doing a seemingly frivolous job search ever since. I lucked out and actually got an interview with a company and now they are going to make me an offer.

Here's my dilemma: the job is in a small town in central Wisconsin. There's little entertainment and there is snow on the ground 6 months of the year. Ever since I moved to the southern states I have enjoyed the warmer climates and this area is like living in an empty freezer. I have no wife or kids to worry about so I'm pretty mobile.

One one hand, I think I would be foolish to turn down an offer in times like these. The offer is quite good and the job sounds excellent. Working in a non union plant as the lead electrical engineer is quite and honor. They've promised me a long leash and I will be in charge of many projects.

On the other hand however, I can't say how long I will be able to last out there. I feel it would be dishoroable as a professional to take a job being uncertain that I can make it work out for more than a year or two. I am back to working construction and can keep my head above water without too much trouble, but it certainly doesn't do my engineering career any good.

I am just looking for advice/perspectives on this one. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So, the only reason for not going there is you may not like the town/local climate? I'm sure there are a few here who would say boo-hoo and something about cavemen not liking having to migrate with the herds each winter or something but doing it 'cause they had to.

A lot could happen in a year or two anyway, including them letting you go for some reason, so I wouldn't worry too much about possibly leaving in that time frame if you absolutely hate it.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I'm assuming you are living on unemployment. If you are holding your own with a minimal income, you have roughly a year to go before things get tense. If you are that unsure about the relocation, keep looking. My sources say the economy will be turning around by next Spring, time enough to find something in a warmer climate.

If it were me, though, I'd go for it. I live in the San Francisco Bay but I once considered moving to Milwaukee. And how many times do you really plan to go to the opera, ballet or see a play? As long as you are able to find friends and enjoy their company, the physical location is immaterial.

If you cannot tolerate cold, Central Wisconsin may not be for you.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

From the outside, I can never tell what a job is going to be like, once I'm 'inside'. I've found that most of them had something to like, and something to not like so much.

Give it a year and see how it goes.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

My brother-in-law says "Life is what happens as you are planning something else".

This is life, you're young. They know you may not stay but you might be surprised.

A long time ago I joined the Army thinking I'd get it over with and move on, I signed up for two years during the Vietnam War. At the time I had a draft deferment but did not like the job. Did not think I'd like the Army but it opened opportunities for me which I could not have imagined. Also made friends with people I'm still friends with . . 40 years ago.

Go for it. . .if it's wrong, you can recover easily.

I suppose you could try to arrange some kind of trial period for 6 months or a year to see how you suit each other, many firms do similar from their point of view with temp to perm positions.

However, if they really want a long term person, and are silly enough to still believe in such a thing, they may pass you over in lieu of someon else that claims they'll work for them "man & boy".

That's part of the problem, competition is probably pretty fierce (though maybe not in powergeneration if you believe Scotty and that's where the position is) which means you may have a bit less room to manouver.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

i dunno. i was offered a position in michigan about two months ago. i turned it down because i really didn't want to relocate. so i was out of real work and just doing small designs on the side to make myself some money. turns out it was a good idea, about a month and a half after i turned down the interview, i got two offers. if you really like where you're at, i say stick it out. there's a 168 hours in a week. you're only at work for 40-50. you have to enjoy yourself and like where you're at for the rest. work for a competitor who's in your area. that's what i did.

Whats worse on your resume, time spent doing useless work or a short stint during a recession? I would say the former.

Take the leap and go for it, you may meet the love of your life out there!

I am going to an interview today and I hope to have the same type of decision to make.

I did just what you’re saying about 2 years ago. Moved from a place that I really like the weather at to a place I don't. Winter isn't as bad a s you describe, but I’m a big softy. But i don't regret it one bit, Found myself a warm body for the colder months, however strangely enough the job I came for has from a very promising start turned to ***t.

Csd72,
Good luck, with the interview.

When in doubt, just take the next small step.

I would go for it, with the idea (keep it to yourself) that you'll move on in two years. By then, the economy should be improved, and with a 2 year timeframe, you'll be able to keep yourself sane, since you know it's not forever.

Hope you like brandy. And beer And cheese. And women who eat lots of cheese and drink lots of beer and brandy.

I've been in Wisconsin most of my life. Snow is a part of that. If you're the kind of person who lets that stop your living, then don't come. More snow for the rest of us.

Otherwise, pony up for good warm boots and longjohns and a good coat, get out there and enjoy it.

I appreciate the responses. It sounds like I have an overwhelming group telling me I should go and take it. There's no doubt if I do take I'm going to do my absolute best. I just can't help but feel like I'm being dishonorable taking a job for someone they expect to stay a long time without intending to stay long term.

My resume shows a fair amount of job jumping already. I haven't stayed anywhere for more than 20 months. I had one for 15 months, one for 20, and this last one only went 9. If I take this job and then leave shortly, I'm afraid it will really show a pattern of jumping around. Maybe this is normal?

So I guess I have three possibilities:

1. Take the job and try and stick it out the best I can. In 2 years if I decide I hate it, then move on.

2. Tell the company how much I'd love the job but have my reservations about the area and put the ball in their court. I'm sure I'm not the only person that has had these concerns. (This is starting to sound like a bad idea)

3. Turn it down with an explanation of my reasons and let them know if a position opens up in one of their southern facilities, I would be very interested in taking it.

The more I think about it, the more I lean to option #1. No matter what happens, I'm going to move from my current area. Any other ideas/thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

So they have facilities elsewhere in the country? Well once you're in maybe you can look at getting transferred. If you really are concerned about the perception of job hopping on your resume, this wont look as bad as it's for the same employer.

KENAT,

Going back to the KISS principle, you presented two opitons:

a - remain unemployed / marginally employed in an area/climate you like.

b - take a job that sounds good in a location you might not care for.

Well, in general I'd say go for it, with one caveat... For me, it would depend on where "central WI" is exactly... If you are within about 45 minutes from a major city (Madison, Oshkosh, Appleton, Green Bay, etc), I'd go for it. Some areas that are described as "central WI" are pretty rural and if you are used to city life it might be a surprise to have to drive 30 minutes to a 2000 sq.ft. grocery store (or maybe doing your shopping at the gas station/convience store).

However, I imagine that if this is a larger firm, you will be pretty near a decent city. The snow isn't so bad. I much prefer it to rain and everything being wet, but that's a personal opinion. Once you get the proper clothing, there are only a few days a year that it's really cold and you might want to avoid going outside. However, the snow adds a lot of fun and activities you can do as well. And on the days you should stay in... well, that's what the beer, whiskey and cheese are for.

I'd say give it a shot. After a year or so you can decide if this will be the setting for the story of your life, or just a chapter with with interesting new experiences (good or bad) and a stepping stone to the next.

-- MechEng2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back