Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Offered a job, but should I accept it? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbineGen

Electrical
Mar 1, 2007
US
So I was laid off in April due to the economy and have been doing a seemingly frivolous job search ever since. I lucked out and actually got an interview with a company and now they are going to make me an offer.

Here's my dilemma: the job is in a small town in central Wisconsin. There's little entertainment and there is snow on the ground 6 months of the year. Ever since I moved to the southern states I have enjoyed the warmer climates and this area is like living in an empty freezer. I have no wife or kids to worry about so I'm pretty mobile.

One one hand, I think I would be foolish to turn down an offer in times like these. The offer is quite good and the job sounds excellent. Working in a non union plant as the lead electrical engineer is quite and honor. They've promised me a long leash and I will be in charge of many projects.

On the other hand however, I can't say how long I will be able to last out there. I feel it would be dishoroable as a professional to take a job being uncertain that I can make it work out for more than a year or two. I am back to working construction and can keep my head above water without too much trouble, but it certainly doesn't do my engineering career any good.

I am just looking for advice/perspectives on this one. What should I do?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can speak from experience. We moved to Wisc. Rapids from Detroit 20 years ago and stayed for 17 years. We left 3+ years ago, after being downsized out of the job I went there for in 2000 and kicking around through a couple of short term opportunities thereafter. We are now 80 miles east and still visit often as one of our children is still there.

It is not a bad place to live and with a couple of bigger manufacturing facilities in the vicinity, should have some long-term employment potential. Although in this day and age nothing is certain.

Smaller towns have some advantages in terms of housing costs, but you will travel some distance for entertainment, shopping, etc.

The snow is not all that bad - but having grown up in Michigan's U.P., it's all relative. You could have some accumulation on the ground for up to 6 months as was indicated.

It can get cold there, but no one has car engine block heaters like they did in Hibbing, MN., so it's not that bad.

Your young. I would consider living in Stevens Point which has the University there and presents a 15+ mile commute.

Black and Gold should not be too much of a problem as it's not in the same division. Bear and Viking fans are hated; but Lion fans were just pitied - but that seems to happen everywhere. Go figure.

Good luck.

GJC

Steeler Nation is well represented everywhere!!! I'm sure you'll find some Black & Gold fans to hang out with.

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!

Speaking as a former Detroit native. I pity myself as a Lions fan. At least we have the Red Wings right?

On a lighter note, I also had a similar situation. Except I had two offers, one in Milwauke, and another in northern VA. Note the VA offer was a little nicer, but I don't think I could survive another Michigan winter.

I've only got a few winter days of driving in me nowadays.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back