Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

office-based role 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

engeeneer

Specifier/Regulator
Sep 1, 2013
GR
hello

I am looking to start an engineering career but not in a production/plant environment or in a greasy environment. Instead I am looking for a clean office based career.

Is this feasible with an HNC only and no experience at all?

Which such roles can you suggest me? Roles that are in demand and pay well, would be preferred.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

a maintenance engineer in a food factory, how much time he spends in the factory, exposed to the cold environment of the refrigerators and the noise of the machines?
also, what does he actually do in a 12hr shift? isn't this working period exhausting?

I was also wondering how Hockey Night in Canada made it onto Eng-tips.

A job that is 100% office base is the exact job I do absolutely everything possible to avoid. I agree with someone's earlier comment that said you are severely limiting your career potential.

I've been in plants that have less emissions than offices, so be careful what kind of office you pick.

Or you could simply marry into money, and forego the shortcomings and drudgery of work altogether!

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

If noise is a big concern, you should narrow things down a bit more. Make sure you find a job where your office has a door. Cubicles might still be too loud.

I initially wanted a job in a highrise with my own office, a panoramic view, my own billiards table, espresso machine, stocked bar, jukebox with all of my favorite 60's and 70's rock, a secretary, and the "inbox" emptying directly into the circular file. Oh yes, mid to high 6 figure salary, as well.

But . . . . then I realized that if I actually desired employment, this list quickly declined from "requirements" to "fat chance".

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

I am concerned about health effects of emissions and noise

Then buy some ear plugs & a gas mask.

Seriously, it may seem we're being a$$holes but you're coming across as an entitles little individual who thinks they're too good to get their hands dirty.

I think you need to do some serious research and soul searching by yourself to at least narrow things down a bit before you come asking questions.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

engeeneer (Specifier/Regulator)
Having worked in the UK on the shop floor and in the office, and knowing the culture there , once your work associates find out that you do, not, like visiting the shop floor. Guess where you will find yourself ending up.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

A UK based process chemical/engineer here. I'm more worried about RSI and weight gain from being stuck in the office than I am about chemical or noise exposure when I'm on plant.

If as an engineer you have people working to do something for you that you wouldn't do yourself because of a health and safety concern, then you really should not be asking them to do it.

Matt

Think about that office situation for the long term. Where is your desk? Where is a window to outside? After years looking at a calendar on the wall, no window and the same old place, getting outside will be a welcome change. If you want to be happy in your work, you probably will have to make some changes in your requirements. For example, what about those around you that may have varied duties which get them off to another office or to a job site now and then? There you sit getting frustrated with your non-changing situation that you created. Is your fear of civil engineering because of the crude language out there rather than the dirt? I suspect so. The air out there is usually fresh. If noisy, use ear plugs. Another thing, those stuck in the office seldom move up the ladder to associate or owner, where the money is. If you happen to be female, in the states at least, you have many perks from government promotions that males don't have, yet it requires a variety of work situations to round you out to take advantage of the perks.

You have heard from many voices of experience. That's something I wish I had before I jumped into this work. Don't dismiss our words as meaningless. If you do, years later you will find out we were right. Good luck. Engineering can be fun.

I work for a consulting firm doing system planning for power utilities. I am away from the desk and in the field 1-2 days per month, and only for meetings. After 6 years of doing this, I'm actually searching for a job where I am out of the office. It gets pretty boring. But, if that's what you want, consulting could be an avenue.

Worried about the environment and noise?

....wear earplugs, a jacket, a dust mask, etc. Plenty of PPE to protect yourself.

How do you even leave the house?

If you can't get dirty, don't be an engineer.

"I am looking to start an engineering career but not in a production/plant environment or in a greasy environment. Instead I am looking for a clean office based career."

"the main reasons I would like to be office-based, is that I am concerned about health effects of emissions and noise."

"a maintenance engineer in a food factory, how much time he spends in the factory, exposed to the cold environment of the refrigerators and the noise of the machines?
also, what does he actually do in a 12hr shift? isn't this working period exhausting?"

Given this brief outline of your persona, I think the feedback has concluded you are severely limiting yourself in the event you took an engineering route. It may be best to rethink your career path.

Your aspirations are more in line with that of an HR professional.

deltawhy (Electrical)
Whilst I can see your reasons for replying as you do, I would not wish that kind of HR person on my worst enemy.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

I see a lot of engineers here critisizing the young lad. I'm in mining and it can get scary / sketchy working in industry so i understand somewhat, especially if it was a bad experience of a loved one. For me it started in the field and after gaining experience i was transferred to head office where i travel 15% of the time.

If you've tried working in the field before and feel its not for your, i would encourage you to give it one more shot with a different company / location. Starting your career in the field is the best way to learn. Generally in 1st world countries, industry is so safety proof that even children can work, give it another go!

If this is what the UK tax payer is getting for years of expensive schooling then I fear for my pension. No wonder employers are keen to take on trained EU staff is this is the attitude they have to put up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back