Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On-line Masters of Science in Engineering degrees 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

geostruct

Geotechnical
Jun 22, 2008
US
I am actually expanding this from another thread.

I understand that an on-line school is not the conventional way of obtaining a graduate degree for engineers. However, as I understand it, what are the academic advantages of going to graduate school in person? Heres my list:

1. Ability to work in teams with students.
2. Ability to ask professor for help in person.
3. Attend classes in person.
Let me know if there are any other academic advantages that I am leaving out.

Here is how I would counter those advantages with the online degree:

1. On-line Engineering graduate students still do team projects with other students. Except in this case, most of the communication is done over the phone or email etc. This is how a majority of the communication ie conf calls, emails, phone calls is done in industry, right?
2. The same general answer as #1, except for anyone who is working at the time, if you cant get your answer from the professor over the phone/email, why not ask colleagues at work to help explain? I'm sure they would spare a few minutes now and then to help you improve your technical capabilities.
3. I believe that a technical engineering graduate degree is something that you should WANT to get. If someone is able to read chapters, study examples, do excercises online etc., why shouldnt this be sufficient as a graduate degree? Graduate degrees are meant to be a primarily an independent study anyway, right?

Everyone struggles when they need to balance work, family, school, and other personal issues. The business world has certainly adapted to people obtaining their on-line MBAs, and I know that business classes are different than engineering classes, but isnt it time for engineering to evolve and adapt now as well?

What does everyone think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

geostruct - I agree completely.

hoakie66 - This happens in team sports, school projects, business, etc. I have found that most of the people that complain about doing all the work, often take the whole project upon themselves and in a nutshell, do not let the other teammates constructively contribute anything meaningful. On the flip side, the person who got stuck with all the work got all the benefits. Like what everyone else has said or hinted at: you get out of it what you put in. Plus the business world operates the same. Sure people will take credit in business teams, but they typically wont get as far over time.

gymmeh - You are at a level of wisdom that I couldn't even dream of reaching. I was considering an online MSME, but now I don't think so. (Just kidding of course!)

vpl - thats who needs it the most! Haha, sorry, I'm married and couldn't resist!

geostruct, I am actually in the same boat as you, so I am just following this tread. I want to go for my masters but complicated.

I am planning on taking one graduate class to see if it works for me. Some schools have the option to get your masters without a thesis, which is directed toward professionals.

I have heard/read that MS is not comparable to an MBA.

gymmeh-

I am doing the same. Online MS Engineering interdisciplinary focus Structural/Geotechnical. I am starting off with an easy course, then 2nd semester diving into the technical stuff and will keep going as long as everything goes well. There is no thesis required.

My advice to you before I even start would be to make sure you pick a program with classes you are interested in, instead of picking a school with just a good name. It turns out my school has the right classes, and also is somewhat affordable. If you look above I posted a link for "best buys" online graduate degrees.

My theory on MBA's is that so many people have them it doesent really set you apart. I would rather get my MS since I'm young in my career to help me sharpen my technical skills, then if I feel the need later in my career to get the MBA, I will do that as well. I think as far as engineering goes, MS degrees are much more valuable especially if you are in consulting. MBAs might help once you start moving into an upper management position or even start your own company.

The engineering course only offers half of its calsses online and the rest must be hands on experience, industry standards. Good point thou because I've been trying to get to the bottom of this on mine own. I'm meeting with Farmingdale Unv. NY Longisland , they have an amazing program there. I'll let you guys know more next week what the answer is for sure. Online all or just half?

I am at this moment in my fourth year of the part time on-line MS study. Most classes are shared with full time campus students. And the comments regarding teamwork are very true.

If I want to complete an assignment within two weeks I have to start now, because I only have a few evenings and maybe a day or two in the weekends. Full time students start when they really have to because they have more classes and have different priorities. Starting 3 to 4 days before the due date gives them more than sufficient time. By that time I must already be writing my conclusions. The result is that the total project time schedule gets completely upset and I am doing all of the initial work and get very frustrated in the end.

Is there somebody to blame? I do not think so and it even does not matter.

The only solution is to explain to the professor that it just does not work and that you do not need to learn about team work because you have sufficient experience in your daytime work with that.

Another issue is to deal with administrative matters. Since you are not personally at the university it is often very complicated to reach the correct person / get answers on simple questions / get the right forms to fill in etc.
The bureaucracy gives me more headaches than the classes.

Thank you, terje61. I was beginning to think I was imagining that this teamwork learning thing was a bad idea. I am sorry you have to put up with that unnecessary crap, and I admire your perseverance.

Hi All,

To all that are currently enrolled in a graduate program, who is covering the cost of your degree?
Do you cover the cost or does your employer?

RP

jorton-

That may not be a bad deal. You get the money up front. My school costs around 1500 per class. I have to shell that out up front and then wait to get reimbursed.

terje,

Good points..i guess it really depends on how a program is set up....if your school has a solely online program where you only interact with other online students (most likely working) you probably wont run into those problems. If it is mixed, then yea I can see that problem arising.

However, these things can be avoided the same way as any other project. You need to set deadlines within the team for certain parts to be completed...the same goes for projects at work. It takes a lot of teamwork and leadership for projects to be completed efficiently and on time. Maybe when we see problems arising like this we should all step up and take the lead.

With all that said, terje, I can understand how hard it can be to control this from an online course, and you are right we get enough of this at work as it is.

But hey, for us young guys, the more practice dealing with this early in our careers, the better we will be at dealing with it later in our careers right?

My work used to cap it at 3k/year, too, but I talked to them because the classes are $2700. If I take 3 per year, I am out a lot of money even with all A's. They ended up removing the cap for me.
I, like frv, have to pay up front and get reimbursed after the class.

frv,

I'm not complaining. The upfront payments made it possible for me. Also, I had no cap. Over the course of 18 months my employer contributed close to $14k. Of course I've wondered if my raise and bonus were affected by this, but I'm still very happy with the situation. I am suprised that so many employers will pay 100%. It will be interesting how the work/school scenario will develop in the next few years as the states begin to require additional hours for PE eligibility. Will the employers keep these more generous terms when they have to pay for every young employee to go back to school? Or will they develop even better terms in order to encourage PE obtainment? I guess time will tell.

I am not so surprised that employers are paying for the MS.
1)
To complete it takes quite a long time so you tend to stay longer with the company you work for.
2)
You are really busy, so you do not have time to change jobs or start a new job.
3)
The study has most times a direct possitive influence on the work you are doing.
4)
You feel honoured by the company, that they pay so much money and you improve your attitude towards them.
5)
The study is tax deductable.

I would say it is a win-win situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back